WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather Tools
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

descriptionVista will not boot past Welcome Screen EmptyVista will not boot past Welcome Screen

more_horiz
Hello –
I am having a problem with Windows Vista booting past the Welcome Screen. It just stalls. Sometimes saying WELCOME and others PLEASE WAIT. This started when I tried to boot my system on Friday. On Thursday the computer worked fine but I did have issues when attempting to update an IPOD touch using Itunes. I ended up having to retore the touch. I only mention this because this was the oly issue to occur prior to my problem in case it matters. I also did notice while restoring that a automatic windows update was installed the day before this all happened. Currently, I am able to boot in safe modes no problem. Below is what I have tried over the weekend to fix this:

1. I have run “scannow” and a message comes back that I have corrupted system files that need repair and could not be repaired by scannow. I tried to enter the path to find the files that were corrupted in the logs but could not get it to work from my prompt.
2. I have run CHKDSK which stalls at approx 96% of step 5 of 5 when checking the free space (ran twice with same result).
3. I ran the diagnostics from my original disks and a code 0F00:075D System File Integrity.
4. I also did a system restore back to about a week ago and that did nothing.
5. System Repair - same results there were files that could not be repaired.
6. I also ran Malwarebytes and there were not infected items.

Is there anything I can do to identify and correct the corrupted files and fix them without reinstalling Vista?
If not and I have to do a reinstall is there an easy way to preserve my programs and easily transfer them over once the system install is complete? I have everything backed up to a external drive. However, many of the programs I have were downloaded and I don’t have the information to re-download them. (I know I know lesson learned)

Thanks for any advise. I have been messing around with this all weekend and cannot figure it out.

Last edited by mando on 9th May 2011, 1:20 pm; edited 5 times in total (Reason for editing : spelling)

descriptionVista will not boot past Welcome Screen EmptyRe: Vista will not boot past Welcome Screen

more_horiz
Dup

descriptionVista will not boot past Welcome Screen EmptyRe: Vista will not boot past Welcome Screen

more_horiz
Bump

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum