WiredWX Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

descriptionDell inspiron 1545 /black screen EmptyDell inspiron 1545 /black screen

more_horiz
I own a dell inspiron laptop and I was wonderig if someone can resolve some problems I am having. When I turn on the laptop I get it to boot up but for only seconds then I get a black screen and if I quickly close and open the cover it comes back on then goes black again...I know the computer is still running and it doesnt completly shut off because I can still hear it running.and because the computer screen wont stay on it wont load up.all I get is the loading line on the bottom of the screen stating its loading files but it wont completly load.. PLEASE HELP! also its windows 7 operating system

descriptionDell inspiron 1545 /black screen EmptyRe: Dell inspiron 1545 /black screen

more_horiz
I fixed a laptop with that issue earlier this year. Theres a couple things that could be the issue here.

1-LCD screen is bad(unlikely but I've seen weirder things)
2-The LCD bulb is bad(This is not the technical term, I forget what it is but if you google, you'll find the answer, or even if you want me to do it for you.
3-the LCD inverter cables(LCD to inverter, or Inverter to bulb) is disconnected or burnt.
4-The LCD Inverter is bad/burnt/disconnected

Now, this is not an easy fix. You need to be comfortable working with tools, understand proper grounding of yourself so not to blow the laptop to bits, and be willing to risk about 100-200$ depending on the route you take to fix this.

Unfortunately, the only way to test this kind of issue is in this order

1.a-Plug the laptop into an external monitor through the VGA(blue squareish looking port in the back), boot the system, it should display fine on the external monitor.

1.b-If it doesn't work, we have a bigger problem than just the screen, it would suggest the video card itself is faulty or damaged. If it works proceed to step 2

2.a-Open up the LCD cover, confirm the cables are connected, confirm that the inverter(a rectangular looking chip with a cable plugged into each side typically on the bottom side of the screen as it is what controls if the screen is displayed or not)

2.b-If you suspect the Inverter, you will want to move it towards you and away from you and it should provide the result of the screen coming on and off.

2.c-If you suspect the inverter cable, look for burnt marks or disconnected wires, possibly even the connections just being loose.

2.d-If you suspect the bulb itself to be bad, you unfortunately can't just glance at it and know it's bad, it's super thin and it either works or it doesn't, and more likely the issue is the wires that connect to it on each side of the bulb.

Again, if you are not technically inclined, I do not encourage you to attempt this on your own. You will need someone who knows how to solder, connect and reconnect thin circuit strips(which tend to break easy). This will cost a lot if you don't have a techy friend to help out.

Simple Solution(really expensive)-Buy a new LCD Screen which comes with everything preinstalled, and just remove the old and install the new. Make sure it comes in the casing and everything so you just screw it into the laptop base and connect the cable to the motherboard.

Cheaper Solution(sometimes)-Have a techy friend do and research the things I suggested up there, the problem could be fixed in the price range of 6$(the inverter),6$(The bulb), 10$(the inverter cable),100$(The screen)

Good luck! and yes I wish I could provide pictures and step by step stuff. But this kind of helps. Big Grin http://www.screentekinc.com/lcd-removal-instructions.shtml

descriptionDell inspiron 1545 /black screen EmptyRe: Dell inspiron 1545 /black screen

more_horiz
Thanks for getting back to me so quickly Smile... I appreciate it.I have sent my laptop out to be fixed with the suggestions that you have provided...I will update later as to what it was.

Now when my laptop (DELL INSPIRON 1545) boots up it goes to the home page and loads files but that bar stays there and wont go any further..I hooked up an external screen last night to the laptop and ran the diagnostic test on it and it came back with the error code 2000-0142 status 79...so I googled that code and it says that my hard drive isnt working and its faulty and that I will need to replace the hard drive.....Please tell me this isnt so! :sad:

more_horiz
Sounds possible from that test result, but which diagnostic did you run? Also, which home page are you speaking of? and what does the bar look like?
Are we speaking of the desktop and the bar at the bottom?

more_horiz
the diagnostic test where it displays everything about the computer and weather or not everything is working and it tell you if it "passed" the test I pressed F8 on the computer and scrolled to diagnostics and ran the test from there.As for the home page thing....the way the laptop has been running I would turn it on and the laptop would ask me if I wanted to run a repair test or start windows normally and I would hit normally after I hit normally the computers next screen would show a windows symbol then it would flick to a black page with a grey loading bar on the bottom of the screen with the words "loading files" the bar would load up right to the end but stop and do nothing else.(Dell Inspiron lap top 1545)this is the same lap top I am having the black screen issues with as well!!!

more_horiz
Hmm I wonder if one caused the other. Repeated hard shutdowns can cause problems with the boot sector which would have the laptop do that whole "I don't know where Im going" thing.

Also, if the boot sector is broken or damaged, it's possible for the diag tests to show the hard drive as being bad.

Is your screen fixed yet? or are you holding on that? because the first thing I'd do is fix the boot master boot record when you get it back. After that, run a hard drive specific test. If I were more awake right now I'd be able to tell you how to do it. @_@ So tired...

more_horiz
OK when you wake up LOL give me a run down of fixing the boot master boot sector cause I have never done that before. I have my laptop sent out to get the problems fixed with the screen (hopefully) and I am waiting on a call to let me know what the screen problem is and maybe just maybe the tech will do this" fixing the bootmaster boot sector "before returning it to me because the tech is aware of the problems with the loading files bar as well so hopefully he will return the laptop with good news that I dont need a new hard drive considering the fact the hard drive was only replaced 2 monts ago..... I will keep you posted!

more_horiz
Your technician should know what to look for, but this is the method to resolve boot sector issues.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392

You use the System recovery option from the Windows OS disk

Bootrec.exe /fixboot is the command you want to run on your system at the recovery screen.

At the recovery console you'll see C:\

Type D:\ or D:\ CD DIR
Then it will read D:\ for the CD/DVD drive.
then type Bootrec.exe /fixboot and it will prompt you yes or no, select yes you wanna do this

Presto, you have a pasta.

more_horiz
Thak You for your help...I now have my laptop back in perfect running order...after a back light was replaced and a hard drive...Luckily I have warranty on my hard drive and it was a free replacement....THE GeekPolice RULES!!!!

more_horiz
yay -claps- congrats. Glad it was the back light. They're really cheap ^^

more_horiz
Hi TownieGirl,

Do you happen to know the part number for the back light? Having the exact problem with the exact same laptop. This is something totally new to me and trying to figure out this part & replacement... which should do it. Let me know.
Thanks ! Eugene

more_horiz
I have this black screen problem for my dell inspiron 1545 laptop. Initially It used to come up when booted and then disappear . When I connected to external monitor external monitor is working . interestingly, original monitor also works some times. I opened the lcd assembly and visually checked for any burned out items and I didn't find any thing. Is it some loose connection?. Only thing I observed the wires from lcd screen ( 2 wires red and white jacket , I guess this is from backlight bulb ) move when I push those wires in and out. Is this simple loose connection or any thing I can check, Thanks for the help in advance.

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum