WiredWX Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

descriptionBlack Screen Dell Inspiron EmptyBlack Sceen Dell Inspiron

more_horiz
Hello Forum members.
I have a relatively (2yrs) new Dell Inspiron 1545 Laptop Windows 7 Premium. It has been used very little in 2 yrs as I have 2 other PC's.
Problem:
Yesterday, I was using it and it was working well. Today I started the PC, on boot it goes to the Dell logo > Windows splash screen, then nothing; just a black screen with a moveable mouse pointer. I've tried starting it in all of the safe modes, with the same results black screen and mouse pointer. I have no Windows CD (Factory install) never got around to creating a CD restore image and there is no option in safe mode to do a factory reset. I'm reluctant to go out and purchase Win7 Full install if it will fail to repair the "Black Screen"

I've searched the Internet to no avail. If there is a fix, any help on this would be appreciated.

descriptionBlack Screen Dell Inspiron EmptyRe: Black Screen Dell Inspiron

more_horiz
Sounds like a failed video card. Do you know the make/model of video card?

more_horiz
DragonMaster Jay Thanks! for the reply.
I managed to solve the problem causing the "Black Screen of Death"
On initial start up hit "F12" and then ran Diagnostics.
Ran all diagnostics which includes extensive video card / disk testing.
Ran Extended Test Build which came up with many error codes including
Error code 0F00:065D Msg "DISK-DST self test read error"
Error code 0F00:133C Msg "DISK no suitable media is present"
Disk Surface tests: Error code 0F00 1332 Msg "Disk block 56403976 IRQ did not set time"
Disk Self confidence test: "Msgs " No addition sense information.

In a nut shell, the HD is toast. I confirmed this with DELL technical today.
I hope this experience will help other members. I learned a valuable lesson from this experience; never put off creating a disk image and the importance of regular back-ups. I had no data documents or other on the machine so It was no big loss. DELL technical were very supportative, they are shipping me copies of the factory set up disks. A new HD is in the mail.

I'm going to enjoy this great form and will continue reading all the post and see what I can glean from the excellent topics.
Deaer
Canada.

more_horiz
Glad to hear you're in the process of getting it fully resolved. Smile...

more_horiz
Resolved: Installed new HD and Win 7 from the disks Dell shipped.
I actually had two major problems.
1. I suspect the HD was defective as when installed. 2. The "Black Screen" was the final blow.
Dell Pre-Boot Assessment Diagnostics revealed error code 0416.
Msg. Error Code 2000-0416 Hard Drive 1 - "Self Test Log contains previous error(s)

The HD failure was also confirmed by Dell. I ran Western Digitals HD Diagnostics for Windows; both short and long tests showed HD failed; Smart Test Pass.
The "Black Screen" was solved when I installed (on original HD) Dell Win 7 disk and selected the repair option. 1 error in the MBR was found and repaired.
Error msg The following start up option will be repaired.
Name: Windows Boot Manager;
Identifier {(DEA862C-5CDD-4E70-ACC1 -F32B344D4795)}
The following start up options will be added:
Name: Windows (TM) Code Name "LONGHORN" Pre-Installation Environment (recovered)
Path Temp 1234\Windows
Windows Device: Partition = D:(223434 MB).
The failing HD was removed; installed new HD and Win 7 every ting is working as expected. Black Screen Dell Inspiron 795106

more_horiz
Cool. Smile...

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum