WiredWX Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

descriptionHelp! Toshiba Laptop L505D says BOOTMGR missing....where did he go? EmptyHelp! Toshiba Laptop L505D says BOOTMGR missing....where did he go?

more_horiz
Post 1- Help! Toshiba Laptop L505D says BOOTMGR missing....where did he go?
by linda lipka Today at 9:34 am

I apparently got a virus of some sort on my computer back in the end of Oct. and I kept running scans over and over for about 2 weeks and then suddenly one day it all just reappeared but after working with it I realized that everything was running off the D drive and not the C drive. You could do many things but there were many basics missing. Could not open Control Panel or open Default program setting. Now the C drive is there and apparently still has windows 7 on it but nothing "pulls" from it, I guess. So yesterday I was told to reinstall Windows 7. Well it came preinstalled and I am not going to go buy it but I had bought window 7pro upgrade and I was told that I could install that. So i did....nothing. So then I just decided to restore to factory settings. So after much work I finally got the f8 option and followed the onscreen directions and a huge WARNING screen came up, basically saying, "here we go dummy, if you push this button everything is gone and we promise to restore it" so i pushed enter and everything was going nicely till an Error message came up, something like "error, please restart" So it takes me back to the screen that had options and I hit restart at the bottom and it went through it's little process and now I get the Toshiba screen that gives me the f2 or f10 choices and then black screen, white cursor and then "BOOTMGR missing hit cntrl, alt, delete to restart" and if I do that it just cycles back through right to that again.....so now what? Did I do enough to wipe out everything and not enough to fix anything? Do I own a paperweight now?
linda lipka

Unborn

Operating System: windows 7

descriptionHelp! Toshiba Laptop L505D says BOOTMGR missing....where did he go? EmptyRe: Help! Toshiba Laptop L505D says BOOTMGR missing....where did he go?

more_horiz
Hello Linda ! Welcome to GP !

We apologize for the late response.

Do you have the Windows 7 disk ? If no go to this link and follow the Option 2 to download http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/2083-system-repair-disc-create.html then follow this article http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/105541-startup-repair-run-3-separate-times.html

Report us back Smile...

descriptionHelp! Toshiba Laptop L505D says BOOTMGR missing....where did he go? EmptyRe: Help! Toshiba Laptop L505D says BOOTMGR missing....where did he go?

more_horiz
Hi there,
Okay I am going to paste part of what you have told me to look at. I have been at this for awhile and I keep getting good advice from many and you are all telling me the same thing but.....(pasting part of article, wanted pics but they didn't show up) On step 2 of method 2, where it says "select the OS system" there is nothing listed!!!!! so when you go to the next option, "Restore your computer using a system image that you created earlier".....again nothing and when it asks to load drivers it jumps to WINDOWS/SYSTEM 32 file. that is where I am

DISKPART : At PC Startup
How to Boot to DISKPART at PC Startup
Published by Bare Foot Kid
10-22-2010
DISKPART : At PC Startup

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Open Windows DISKPART at System Startup
This is an out-line of the methods to boot (start) the PC to open DISKPART so you can manipulate the Solid State Drive (SSD) or Hard Disk Drive (HDD) partitions before you start an installation or for any other reason.

Let's get started!

Method One

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Windows 7 Full Installer

1) In the BIOS set the boot order to boot first from the Optical Disk Drive (ODD), insert the Windows 7 installer DVD and restart the PC, at the first black/screen hit the space bar for the "Press any key ... " prompt, then at the "Language" screen hold the "Shift" key and hit the F10 hot-key to open a command window.

click any image to enlarge

2) In the command window that opens type diskpart to get started.

To close the command window when finished type exit to leave diskpart, then exit again to close the command window and get back to the installer.

Method Two

Windows Repair CD

In the BIOS set the boot order to boot first from the Optical Disk Drive (ODD), insert the created repair CD and restart the PC.

1) At the first black/screen hit the space bar for the "Press any key ... " prompt, after the "Loading Files" screen, select your language, then it'll do a search.

2) Select the desired OS and click next.

3) In the Choose a Recovery Tool dialog box click Command Prompt, in the command window that opens type diskpart to get started.

When finished with diskpart type exit to leave diskpart, then exit again to close the command window.

Then click Restart in the Choose a Recovery Tool dialog box that's still open to finish up.

more_horiz
Do you have Command Prompt option ? Or is it just Restore from an earlier image ?~[Filtered]~

more_horiz
I have a screen called "system recovery options" and I have the following choices: Start up repair (the screen that wants to know if I have recently attached something to the computer and wants me to send info to microsoft solutions), System Restore (this one gives me a red x and says to use system Restore, you must specify which Windows installation to restore. Restart the computer, select an OS and then select system restore. Problem is, no OS is appearing), System Image Recovery (this one won't work because we have no past image), Windows Memory Diagnostic (won't work) and finally, Command Prompt (this one will go to a Dos screen but starts with the prompt "X:\system32>

more_horiz
Yes go to Command Prompt and type in

cd\

bootrec /fixboot
bootrec /fixmbr
x:\boot\bootsect.exe /nt60 all /force
del C:\boot\bcd
bootrec /rebuildbcd

Close cmd prompt, Remove DVD, Reboot

more_horiz
as soon as I put in the command- bootrec /fixboot

It gives me the following message
The volume does not contain a recognized file system.
Please make sure that all reequired file system drivers are loaded and that the volum is not corrupted

On the 2nd command: bootrec /fixmbr
It gives the following: The operation completed successfully

on the 3rd command: x:\boot\bootsect.exe / nt60 all /force
it gives the following: the system cannot find the path specified
(I am putting spaces between .exe and the slash and nt60 and all and slash

on the 4th command: del C:\boot\bcd
it gives the following: the system cannot find the file specified

on the fifth command: bootrec / rebuildbcd
it says the following:
scanning all disks for Windows installations.
Please wait, since this may take a while...
Successfully scanned windows installations.
Total identified Windows installations: 0
the operation completed successfully

now what? doesn't seem promising

more_horiz
Did you try this : https://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/bulletinDetail.jsp?soid=2737864&pf=true

more_horiz
Yeah that was what started all this, I followed those exact directions and when I hit the factory restore it started the process and went for about 10 min then came up with an error screen and went back to system restore options and when I hit reset it went to the black screen that says bootmgr missing. that was what got me here

more_horiz
linda lipka wrote:
Yeah that was what started all this, I followed those exact directions and when I hit the factory restore it started the process and went for about 10 min then came up with an error screen and went back to system restore options and when I hit reset it went to the black screen that says bootmgr missing. that was what got me here

As far as my knowledge I'm afraid at this point the only option left is do a Clean Install for that you need the disk. Call Toshiba and see if you can a disk.

more_horiz
thanks, i ordered one from digitalmedia-labs. for 24.95. I hope that is a good and reliable resource and a good price.

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum