WiredWX Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

descriptionHelp! Toshiba Laptop L505D says BOOTMGR missing....where did he go? EmptyHelp! Toshiba Laptop L505D says BOOTMGR missing....where did he go?

more_horiz
I apparently got a virus of some sort on my computer back in the end of Oct. and I kept running scans over and over for about 2 weeks and then suddenly one day it all just reappeared but after working with it I realized that everything was running off the D drive and not the C drive. You could do many things but there were many basics missing. Could not open Control Panel or open Default program setting. Now the C drive is there and apparently still has windows 7 on it but nothing "pulls" from it, I guess. So yesterday I was told to reinstall Windows 7. Well it came preinstalled and I am not going to go buy it but I had bought window 7pro upgrade and I was told that I could install that. So i did....nothing. So then I just decided to restore to factory settings. So after much work I finally got the f8 option and followed the onscreen directions and a huge WARNING screen came up, basically saying, "here we go dummy, if you push this button everything is gone and we promise to restore it" so i pushed enter and everything was going nicely till an Error message came up, something like "error, please restart" So it takes me back to the screen that had options and I hit restart at the bottom and it went through it's little process and now I get the Toshiba screen that gives me the f2 or f10 choices and then black screen, white cursor and then "BOOTMGR missing hit cntrl, alt, delete to restart" and if I do that it just cycles back through right to that again.....so now what? Did I do enough to wipe out everything and not enough to fix anything? Do I own a paperweight now?

descriptionHelp! Toshiba Laptop L505D says BOOTMGR missing....where did he go? EmptyRe: Help! Toshiba Laptop L505D says BOOTMGR missing....where did he go?

more_horiz
I see people have viewed but I need help! I have no idea how to fix this but I think it is fixable. Humbly, I am asking for assistance...someone? anyone? .....thanks

descriptionHelp! Toshiba Laptop L505D says BOOTMGR missing....where did he go? EmptyRe: Help! Toshiba Laptop L505D says BOOTMGR missing....where did he go?

more_horiz
We are going to be using a Windows Recovery Environment to help disinfect the system so it may boot again.

Download the OTLPE Network REATOGO Windows Recovery Environment.
  • Place a blank CD-R disc in to your CD burning drive.
  • Download OTLPENet.exe and double-click on it to burn to a CD using ISO Burner.
  • Reboot your system using the boot CD you just created.

Note : If you do not know how to set your computer to boot from CD follow the steps here
  • Your system should now display a REATOGO-X-PE desktop.
  • Double-click on the OTLPE icon.
  • When asked "Do you wish to load the remote registry", select Yes
  • When asked "Do you wish to load remote user profile(s) for scanning", select Yes
  • Ensure the box "Automatically Load All Remaining Users" is checked and press OK
  • OTL should now start. Change the following settings
    • Change Drivers to Non-Microsoft
    • Press Run Scan to start the scan.
    • When finished, the file will be saved in drive C:\_OTL\MovedFiles
    • Copy this file to your USB drive if you do not have internet connection on this system
    • Please post the contents of the OTL.txt file in your reply.

more_horiz
okay I made the disc like you instructed but when I put it in I got the following message:
A problem has been detecte and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer. If is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again follow these steps.
Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure tiis properly configured and terminated. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption and then restart your computer.

technical information:
***STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF78DA528, OxC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

So I was concerned that I did not burn the disk properly so I redid it and I know I got it right and I put it in the laptop again

It went through all the preliminary steps and a windows splash screen started to come up but then the blue stop error screen appeared again with all the same information.

As I said in the original post, I think I got a virus and I actually think we got it from one of the fantasy football websites that my husband and son went to. I vaguely remember hearing that a nasty virus was being warned against via football websites. But by then it was too late. So what do you think? what should I do now?

more_horiz
  • Kaspersky RescueDisk
    If you encounter problems running the RescueDisk, you can get further assistance at the Kaspersky Support Forum.
If you are not sure how to burn an image, please read How to write a CD/DVD image or ISO. If you need a FREE utility to burn the ISO image, download and use ImgBurn.

Let me know how it goes.

more_horiz
the link takes me to the page but the link on the page doesn't take me to the download. Can we try something else or again

more_horiz
These are links to Anti-virus vendors that offer free LiveCD or Rescue CD files that are used to boot from for repair of unbootable and damaged systems, rescue data, scan the system for virus infections. Burn it as an image to a disk to get a bootable CD. All (except Avira) are in the ISO Image file format. Avira uses an EXE that has built-in CD burning capability.
  • Avira AntiVir Rescue System - Tutorial for Avira Rescue CD.
    If you encounter problems running the Rescue Disk, you can get further assistance at the Avira Support Forum.
  • Dr Web LiveCD. Be sure to print out and follow the instructions provided in the User Manual.
  • F-Secure Rescue CD - Rescue CD 3.01 released.
    Video: How to Remove Malware with F-Secure Rescue CD
    If you encounter problems running the Rescue CD, you can get further assistance at the F-Secure Support Forum.
  • BitDefender LiveCD - Index of /rescue_cd
    If you encounter problems running the Rescue CD, you can get further assistance at the BitDefender Support Forum.
  • Kaspersky RescueDisk - Index of /devbuilds/RescueDisk/
    If you encounter problems running the RescueDisk, you can get further assistance at the Kaspersky Support Forum.
If you are not sure how to burn an image, please read How to write a CD/DVD image or ISO. If you need a FREE utility to burn the ISO image, download and use ImgBurn.

Let me know how it goes.

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum