WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather Tools
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

descriptionBoot-up problem EmptyBoot-up problem

more_horiz
My computer recently did an automatic install of new updates. Since then I can't boot up my computer. It goes straight to a blue screen that states something like "unsurmountable boot volume". I'm guessing I have to delete some start up files or something to clear space. But I try to open in normal mode, safe mode, safe mode with command prompt, all the options it gives me. But it always goes straight to that blue screen. How can I overcome this? And then what do I do after that?

Thanks.

descriptionBoot-up problem EmptyRe: Boot-up problem

more_horiz
My guess is that your system partition is corrupt and some crucial system files cannot be loaded. Your only safe bet would be to boot into your OS recovery CD (Vista/Windows7) and run system restore. By right, Windows backs up your system everytime before an update is run so it should be available for restore to your previous status.
If it doesn't work boot into a system recovery distribution and copy out your files.

more_horiz
Hi, thanks. I'm a bit of a novice with computers, so you might have to bear with me a bit. I have a operating CD that can reinstall windows but I am worried about erasing all the files I have saved on my hard drive. There is a "windows XP recovery console" I got to, but it asks me "which windows installation would you like to log onto?

I don't know what to answer here. If I just do the reinstall from the CD, will it erase everything?

more_horiz
It depends on which harddrive partition you install to
Of course, if you install over your previous system partition then your data goes poof
Anyway since you're using Windows Vista you should be using the system recovery tool inside the Vista Installation CD instead of using XP
And recovery by the way does not erase everything only OS installation will erase

more_horiz
My vista installation CD doesn't have a recovery option that I can find. It goes straight to "Install now". When it gets to the "what type of installation do you want?" part it says "upgrade has been disabled" " to upgrade , start the installation from Windows." So I only have the "Custom (advanced)" option available which states it will install a clean copy of windows and will not allow me to keep my files, settings and programs. When I click on that option, I gt a screen asking me where do I want to install windows and gives me two options: Disk 0 Partition 2 which has 69 GB total and 9 GB free, and Disk 0 Partition 3 which has 4.6 GB total and 791 MB free. Both of these are listed as Type Primary.

Do I just load it under one of these partitions? The screen I am on also gives me an option to "Load Driver". I have 2 other CDs. One is called DVD for reinstalling Dell portable computer software. It lists as "contents" device drivers and diagnostics and utilities. The other CD is titled " for reinstalling cyberlink powerDVD 7.0 software.

more_horiz
Before you attempt to reinstall note this first:
When you boot into the installation CD, a window will pop with a button Install Now ->
There should be an option around saying "More Options" or something like that. If you find it then you should be able to follow the steps to system restore. If not you may just have to reinstall the OS

more_horiz
I didnt get that window. So I ended up just reinstalling the OS. Is there any possible way to now recover the programs I had before and the files I had saved on my hard drive?

more_horiz
Actually, I found the "Windows.old" folder on my hard drive. Do I just drag and drop everything from this folder to the "Windows" folder do reset everything?

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum