WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather Tools
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

descriptionHow do I set up a wireless repeater? EmptyHow do I set up a wireless repeater?

more_horiz
Now, this may be a question out of the blue, but how do I set up a wireless repeater?

I have a WRT300N running in my basement, and I was wondering if I could set up a repeater using my old WRT54G v1.1 as a repeater upstairs, because my laptops and 360 don't get great connection up here. So, how would I go about doing that?

descriptionHow do I set up a wireless repeater? EmptyRe: How do I set up a wireless repeater?

more_horiz
Using a repeater to extend your WLAN range can be a good way to increase coverage, yet it can also be inhibited by the fact that they reduce throughput on the WLAN.
A repeater must receive and retransmit each frame on the same RF channel, which effectively doubles the number of frames that are sent. This problem compounds when using multiple repeaters because each repeater will duplicate the number of frames sent.

Let me ask this first, why cant you set up the WRT54G to connect to the internet using Cat5 wire and recieve full coverage throughout the house with the extended range activated within its configuration?
Unless your house is absolutely massive, these routers used as Access points have a great range usually. (Your basement must be a black hole...lol)

Having said that, The configuration of a repeater is relatively straight forward.
After switching the WRT54G access point to repeater mode, you set the service set identifier (SSID) (define) of the repeater to match the SSID of the specific (root) access points (WRT300N) that the repeater will associate with.
Most repeaters will, similar to wireless network cards, automatically associate with the access point with the strongest signal. However, you can designate specific MAC addresses of the preferred and secondary access points as an option.
If the repeater cannot connect with the preferred access point, it will try to associate with the next one, and so on.

See how you go!

descriptionHow do I set up a wireless repeater? EmptyRe: How do I set up a wireless repeater?

more_horiz
It's not a repeater. I am looking for ways to utilize my old router as a repeater. I've seen a couple of my buddies do it, but that job was done for them by a technician.

more_horiz
You need to read my post carefully, I understand that its a router (WRT54G) but what i was saying is why cant you use it as a router with extended range enabled which should adequately cover your whole house.

This will free you up of the need to use a repeater!

If you would still like to use it as a repeater, follow the instructions given!

If you have difficulty with this, post back and i shall help you to sort it out

Regards

more_horiz
Alright, thanks for the help. Got it up and running.

As to answer your question on why I can't cover my whole house is actually quite simple. My house is about 3 stories tall and has only one outlet where you can connect to the internet. That outlet is located in the basement, right the the switchboard which regulates the whole house. Due to many factors such as that, the basement has become a black hole where even a cell phone does not pick up. White the WRT300N can broadcast enough signal to the main level of the house, it barely reaches the upstairs(Very Poor connection) Because of that, I needed a signal booster or repeater. Please (puppy eyes)

more_horiz
Thats good news, glad you were able to get it up and running!

Thats one big house Mr.Waulrus....How is the signal at the top story now with the repeater in operation, and where did you need to place it for optimum efficiency?

I always wanted a basement with a nice big wine cellar....hehe!

Cheers and Good Luck Cheers Mate

more_horiz
The signal is great!.
Although, I forgot to add that some major DD-WRT work had to be done. Otherwise, the router did not recognize the router in the basement as an AP and did not want to connect. But once I got DD-WRT running, it was straightforward from there on.
If you'd like, I amy be even able to write a guide on that. With pictures. Big Grin

more_horiz
If you can spare the time that would be great.....we always welcome any new tutorials that will help other members especially when they involve hands on experience such as your situation.

You could post it in the tutorials forum and either myself or Doctor Inferno will look at making it a sticky!

Thanks again Mr.Waulrus

more_horiz
I'll get right on it as soon as I have time.
Waulrus.

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum