WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather Tools
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

descriptionno wireless connection Emptyno wireless connection

more_horiz
Hi all, I'm new here and I'm not at all technical so here goes.

Today I bought a new Advent notebook with Norton anti-virus. My 14 year old set up the internet (we already have wireless broadband in the house which worked well with our last PC and which he set up succesfully before). The internet though will only work on this new machine via the ethernet cable although there is a little message that pops up saying we are connected wirelessly and there is excellent signal strength. When we remove the ethernet cable the connection disconnects. My son has done all the checks he knows how to and has now given up!
Is this anything to do with Norton?

Any help/suggestions would be appreciated...keep it simple though if possible!

Many thanks in advance.

descriptionno wireless connection EmptyRe: no wireless connection

more_horiz
Hello,

To use the wired connection, I think you have to disable the wireless connection first.

To do this, press the function (Fn) key and F10 at the same time.

............................................................................................

Please be a GeekPolice fan on Facebook!

no wireless connection Lambo-11

Have we helped you? Help us! | Doctor by day, ninja by night.

more_horiz
Hello Cathymac:

Disconnect your ethernet cable.

There is often a switch generally on the front panel of the notebook, to turn on wireless. Make sure that's turned on. Consult your manual regarding the location of the switch &/or how to turn on wireless. This is often disabled by default in order to save battery power.

Next, go to control panel (start menu > control panel or start menu > settings > control panel), depending on how the machine's set up.
Once in control panel, choose network connections.
There should be a wireless network connection available.
Right-click it & choose view wireless networks in range, & connect to your network.

I hope your teenage son has set up wireless security on your network. If not, then post back here & consult w/me regarding that procedure. Also post back if this hasn't worked for u.

more_horiz
many thanks

I'll try these suggestions over the weekend and get back to you. Thankls for your help.

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum