WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather Tools
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

descriptionIBM Desktop EmptyIBM Desktop

more_horiz
My friend dropped a pc by me to ask Geekpolice for some help. He recently got the computer from a computer that he works with. However, the pc does not work. It was connectd to a network (don't know wha that means...lol).

Anyways, when i put on the pc, the screen reads as follows:

1762 Configuration change occured

Press F12 to boot from network
Press F1 for configuration/setup

Then the screen goes to another screen where they ask for a passoword.

After that, there are two beeps and a screen shows what is installed.

A 20G hard is installed in Drive 2. It has four drives. Please not that not at all times the HD would show in that screen. Maybe it's the cable.

He wants me to install XP but when I put in the CD, nothing happens.

What can the problem be?

............................................................................................

IBM Desktop Educat10

descriptionIBM Desktop EmptyRe: IBM Desktop

more_horiz
1762 Configuration change occured

Happens only on a IBM board. You have to enter the BIOS.

Try on of these password when entering configuration (F1).
* concat
* AMI_SW (case sensitive)
* AMI!SW/
* AMI?SW/
* j262

You have to change the boot order to CD/DVD drive in order for the computer to read the XP CD.

............................................................................................

Please be a GeekPolice fan on Facebook!

IBM Desktop Lambo-11

Have we helped you? Help us! | Doctor by day, ninja by night.

more_horiz
will try thiss when i get back from school and let u know

thanx

IBM Desktop Educat10

more_horiz
i tired all the passwords and it said they were incorrect. After trying 3 times the pc was locked!

However, i restarted and tried the rest but to no luck!

Information on the HD is not available. Can we just wipe it clean and wouldn't that delete the password thing?

Anywayz, what next to do?

IBM Desktop Educat10

more_horiz
You have to remove the battery on the motherboard for about 10 minutes for the password to be cleared.

IBM Desktop Lambo-11

more_horiz
how ot remove the battery?

is it small or big?

IBM Desktop Educat10

more_horiz
I got it to work. I took out the battery and inserted it back in. The pc started up in XP, so i did not have to reinstall it.

I uninstalled some programs that were not necessary. I restarted the pc and everything was still good.

However, about 2 hours later i tried puttin on the pc and got this error:

Post Start Up Error
The following error(s) were detected when the system was started:
162 Configuration change has occured

Select one of the following:
Continue
Exit Set up

Next issue, about 2 hours after that, i tried puttin it on again and it wouldnt even come on when i press the power button. After pressing it a few times the system would come on, but it will make 3-4 beeps but the monitor is blank.

What can be this issue??

IBM Desktop Educat10

more_horiz
Hello,

162 Configuration has changed means that your system hardware is being detected differently than the configuration saved in the BIOS memory.

Was any RAM plugged into the PC? It could change the configuration.

If not, it may be related to some of your hardware failing, e.g. a hard drive, or it might be something like the internal CMOS memory battery going out.

Some thing changed, and what's being detected doesn't match up with what the info stored in the internal memory says that it should be.

IBM Desktop Lambo-11

more_horiz
no new ram was plugged in.

i donno what to do now.

i the monitor doesnt come on also.

that's not the biggest problem now

when i press the power button the pc wont even start, i have to press it a few times. Nothing shows up on the monitor to tell me what is goin on.

I hear like 5 beeps when the power finally comes on.

What can i do?

IBM Desktop Educat10

more_horiz
Hello,

For most motherboards 5 beeps means that the video card or monitor cable is loose or not connected. Check that everything is in place and try again.

IBM Desktop Lambo-11

more_horiz
i switch the bettery in this motherboard with another one that i had in an old board and it worked.

however, the boot sequence would change the next day so everytime i have to change it to boot from CD. It switch to Floppy which I read is default.

I did some reading and they said that occurs when somethng is wrong with the battery.

But it's fixED... isnt it?

I think im gettin better at this, lol... should apply for staff position now....hehehe

IBM Desktop Educat10

more_horiz
Yeah, it's more or less fixed for now. Probably a weak battery causing it to revert every time.

Let me know if you have any more problems.

IBM Desktop Lambo-11

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum