WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather Tools
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

descriptionBoot to black screen: safe and normal mode fails EmptyBoot to black screen: safe and normal mode fails

more_horiz
Hi,
My computer is booting to a black screen offer the choice of safe mode (3 type) and boot normally. Picking either safe mode or normal mode, the computer will continue booting, then a quick blue flash (cannot read it), and then re-display the same black screen. It keep cycling back to the black screen. I tried all options listed, they all fail.

Please advise what I can do next.

Thank you very much,
John Lam

descriptionBoot to black screen: safe and normal mode fails EmptyRe: Boot to black screen: safe and normal mode fails

more_horiz
Hello and welcome to GeekPolice.Net My name is Dave. I will be helping you out with your particular problem on your computer.

1. I will be working on your Malware issues. This may or may not solve other issues you have with your machine.
2. The fixes are specific to your problem and should only be used for this issue on this machine.
3. If you don't know or understand something, please don't hesitate to ask.
4. Please DO NOT run any other tools or scans while I am helping you.
5. It is important that you reply to this thread. Do not start a new topic.
6. Your security programs may give warnings for some of the tools I will ask you to use. Be assured, any links I give are safe.
7. Absence of symptoms does not mean that everything is clear.

If you can't access the internet with your infected computer you will have to download and transfer any programs to the computer you're using now and transfer them to the infected computer with a CD-RW or a USB storage device. I prefer a CD because a storage device can get infected. If you use a storage device hold the shift key down while inserting the USB storage device for about 10 secs. You will also have to transfer the logs you receive back to the good computer using the same method until we can get the computer back on-line.
Please try this to see if we can get the computer to boot normally.

Go to this link to create a Rescue CD or to this site to create a Rescue USB. Carefully follow all the instructions for whichever method you choose.

descriptionBoot to black screen: safe and normal mode fails EmptyRe: Boot to black screen: safe and normal mode fails

more_horiz
Hi SuperDave,
A friend helped to boot into both DrWebLiveCD and to Avira Rescue System and ran their scans and removed found threats.  

Avira disk utility is reporting "Disk failure is imminent" due to high "Reallocated Sector Count" of "1899 bad sectors".

Windows is still failing to start.  We see the Bio splash screen, followed by the black screen with white text of:

"We apologize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this.  ... "

and gives options of:

"    Safe Mode"
"    Safe Mode . . . "
" "
"    Last Know Good Configuration . . . "
" "
"    Start Windows Normally"

Selecting any options results in the screen going black, and the Bio splash screen, and back to the "We apologize . . . " screen.

What shall we do next?  

Thank you very kindly for the help!

more_horiz
I suspect it has something to do with that error your getting from Avira disk utility. I'm afraid it might be time to change the hard drive. After you're up and running again, you may be able to recover your important data from the harddrive. You can purchase a USB device which will allow you to look in the harddrive and recover your data.

more_horiz
Thank you Superdave,

I agree with you about the need to replace the hard disk.  Using the Ariva disk utility, I successfully recovered and backed up the data files to a USB drive.  

I am ready to attempt repairing Windows so the machine will run again.  Then I can cloned a working system to a new hard disk.  

I suspect the hard disk is stable at this time because the number of bad sectors did not increase from the 1899 number after scanning for malware with both DrWebLiveCD and Avira.

Do you have suggestions on how I can attempt to repair Windows?

Thank you very kindly!!!

more_horiz
Do you have suggestions on how I can attempt to repair Windows?

If you have the OS disk, boot the computer with the disk in and select Repair. If you don't have it, you must have the Recovery Console installed. Boot to the RC and select Repair.

more_horiz
Hi Superdave,

I finally got hold of a Windows XP OS disk. Running repair did not fix the problem.

I figured out how to make the boot halt on error rather than continually re-boot.  It display the following message on the blue screen:

"A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

REGISTRY_ERROR

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to make any new hardward or software is properly installed. . . .

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0X00000051 (0x00000001.0XE1815B60,0x0000D000,0x000001D6)"

Does the message means my registry is corrupt?

If yes, is there a tool for repair the registry?

Thank you kindly for your help!!!

more_horiz
You can find more information about that error code here.

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum