WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather Tools
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

descriptionWin 7 "Unidentified Network" No Internet Access EmptyWin 7 "Unidentified Network" No Internet Access

more_horiz
I've tried looking this up, but I've only found people who had similar problems but not exactly like mine, and 100 answers that didn't work.

I JUST wiped my computer and installed Windows 7 Pro x64 this morning, fresh and new. During set up (before I even saw the desktop for the first time) it asked for wireless internet settings, and I got that all set up. My problem is, whenever I connect in the network connection icon at the bottom right on the task bar, it takes a minute or two before actually saying "Connected" (sometimes it's slow and says "Limited Access" only) but whatever status it reaches, after it connects, it says "Identifying network..." at the top, but after a few minutes it gives up and just titles it "Unidentified Network" with the subtitle "No Internet Access" under that.

I've tried turning the Firewall off, tried changing the Firewall settings to allow incoming connections without checking them, I've reset the connection a hundred times and restarted the computer a thousand, but whether it goes to "Connected" or "Limited Access", the message at the top on that little tab in the bottom right always says "Unidentified Network - No Internet Access". And obviously opening up IE gives me the "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage" message.

When I run the troubleshooter it tells me to reset the router but there are 2 other computers and a PS3 connected on the same wireless signal, so could it really be the router? I'm not just being doubtful, I can't get to the router or call the ISP because I'm renting and the internet belongs to the landlord upstairs, who isn't home. I could try getting him to reset the router tomorrow, but again, there are other systems here using the internet just fine.

I'm trying to be as detailed as possible so as to avoid confusion with other people's problems. The closest I got to an answer was a bunch of people who said that if my "services list" had some specific line of text in it (something like "## id_String2.####... ") that I just need to disable it because it's the "Bonjour DNS Resource" and it's causing the problem, but I'm not finding that anywhere, and I have no idea what the "services list" is or what that ##id_String2 thing is...

This all seems like a ridiculous amount of trouble for a simple connection problem but I just don't know what to do. I've never seen a network actually "Connect" but not allow internet access. HELP!

descriptionWin 7 "Unidentified Network" No Internet Access EmptyRe: Win 7 "Unidentified Network" No Internet Access

more_horiz
Hello. Glad to have you here at GeekPolice.

Please wait here, while I refer you to an excellent Tech Advisor or other staff.

descriptionWin 7 "Unidentified Network" No Internet Access EmptyRe: Win 7 "Unidentified Network" No Internet Access

more_horiz
After many hours of problem solving and finally a call to my ISP I found the solution.

I use a Realtek 8185 wireless network card, which does NOT come with the drivers needed to work on a 64-bit system.

I simply borrowed the internet on another computer, downloaded the UI Package and Driver (Support XP/Vista/Win7) from the Realtek site, ran it on my computer and I was able to connect to the internet.

more_horiz
Glad to hear. Shall I mark this as solved?

more_horiz
Certainly. I've found many people with similar problems, so if anyone finds this, TRY UPDATING YOUR DRIVERS!

more_horiz
Thanks for that advice. I am sure anyone reading it will find it helpful.

Any other issues, feel free to ask here on the site.

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum