WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather Tools
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

descriptiondo i have a corrupt hard drive and do i need to re-install op system? Emptydo i have a corrupt hard drive and do i need to re-install op system?

more_horiz
Hi
I run in Windows XP pro 2002.

I have recently been trying to install an upgrade from BT to help me go wireless. I couldnt do it and had a chap come and have a look at my pc for me (i know..should be easy!). He has come back to me telling me my hard drive is corrupt and that Windows needs to be re-installed and my pc could just give up the ghost. i have worked very hard for my pc and purchased it 3 years ago with some high spec- in the hope it would keep me going for several years given my modest requirements (!). I went back to the people who built this PC for me and i have 3/4 days in my warranty. i advised them that the pc is noisy and it doesnt seem to be running quite right ...but not being technically minded i cant express much more than that in real terms. I was advised to "dust" the inside of my pc which i have done and it doesnt seem so hot or noisy but i am still worried.... can you help me with both identifying if the drive and windows have a problem. and to install this wireless technology so i can join the rest of th world in real time??
thanks
(i must also say that i had forgotten about this site until this all cropped up and really breathed a sigh of relief when i remembered how well i got on with you last time!). i am also now able to post your website on my FB page.
hear from you soooooon, please. thanks

descriptiondo i have a corrupt hard drive and do i need to re-install op system? EmptyRe: do i have a corrupt hard drive and do i need to re-install op system?

more_horiz
Hi,
Do you have blue screen message when you start your computer ? Did you tried to reinstall your Windows ?

............................................................................................

do i have a corrupt hard drive and do i need to re-install op system? V45u80

descriptiondo i have a corrupt hard drive and do i need to re-install op system? EmptyRe: do i have a corrupt hard drive and do i need to re-install op system?

more_horiz
HI

when i boot up the messages all seem to run fine and it opens up as usual. It is a little slow but the drive is "noisy" and it makes "churning noises" while it is operating.
I havent re-installed windows as the pc came with software pre-loaded at the time of purchase for which i dont have cds..... so i dont want to lose those (but will have to if it really comes to it..or can i go back to the company that built the pc and ask them to reinstall all the stuff?)

more_horiz
somehow i seem to have managed to work out the wireless problem...... used a link to another website which was emailed to me and followed through the instructions. So..now.... how can i tell if my hard drive is failing? is this usual for a 3 year old pc? what is the remedy and what should i do as the next step if it is...? progress may be slow but at least its gojavascript:emoticonp('Smile...')ing!!

more_horiz
Hi, please download HD Tune Trial version to your desktop and install it. Download link - here.

• Please run HD Tune and click on Benchmark tab and press Start button.
  • After checking finish, please capture screenshot with keyboard Print Scrn.
  • Open Paint (Start > Run > mspaint) and press CTRL+V.
  • Save picture and upload it here, give me link.

............................................................................................

more_horiz
hi

i am trying to upload the image (using host an image icon above) but there is a warning screen that comes up about "potential Clickjacking/UI Redressing address" ......what should i do now?

more_horiz
Hi, please upload it to www.tinypic.com

more_horiz
~[Filtered]~

or

do i have a corrupt hard drive and do i need to re-install op system? Fkpq2r

not sure what you needed. hope i have done this right!
thanks

more_horiz
wow. that was clever.

descriptiondo i have a corrupt hard drive and do i need to re-install op system? Emptybump

more_horiz
what next?

more_horiz
hi

i had a response from the PC supplier today who ran my WIndows XP dskchk and it didnt come up with any errors. Does this mean that the drive is ok? IF so why do i get a noise like a crunching/processing sound with a higher pitched "scratch" every so often?
help much appreciated. Let me think

more_horiz
ok..i think i sorted it. The noise seems to have been the fan and so i nudged it back on its spindle and it has reduced the noise. The problem i had with the wireless connection appeared to be a conflict with Bitdefender total security 2009. I uninstalled it and reinstalled a later version and my wireless is working fine. I now have a problem where i cant eject the flash drive from the USB using the "safely remove hardware" icon. I will post under the correct forum about this!

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum