WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather Tools
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

descriptionendless loop of restarting failure. YIKES. Emptyendless loop of restarting failure. YIKES.

more_horiz
Hello to all the Geek Police heros -
todays problem began when we sent something to a printer attached to a computer on our network and not only did nothing print, but in the PRINTERS window, all printers were gone. We noticed that there had been an auto update of windows and were told that a re-start was necessary. So, we did. Unfortunately, I see the first WIndows XP screen and then it goes to cursor for a while and eventually pops up the "We apologize for the incovenience, but something's wrong" window.
I"ve tried all the different options - start in safe mode, start with a prompt, return to the last successful config - etc, but nothing changes. it's always the same. I even tried unplugging the ethernet cable.

any and all help is appreciated.
thanks
buff

descriptionendless loop of restarting failure. YIKES. EmptyRe: endless loop of restarting failure. YIKES.

more_horiz
Do you have your XP disc?

descriptionendless loop of restarting failure. YIKES. EmptyRe: endless loop of restarting failure. YIKES.

more_horiz
i'm sure I have several around the office.
does it have to match serial #s?

more_horiz
No. You just have to get some files off of it, so we can fix the proper system files necessary to log on.

more_horiz
OK. I"ve got a XP Pro disc (Serv Pack 2) disc in hand. (or do i need to look for a different one?)

more_horiz
-Insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive, and then restart the computer.
Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted to do so.

-When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.

-If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you want to access from the Recovery Console.

-When you are prompted to do so, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.

-When you get to the Recovery Console prompt, type cd \ and press "Enter".

Type cd system~1\_resto~1 and press "Enter".

Type dir and press "Enter".

After you press enter you will see a list of folders (like rp1, rp2) If the list of restore points has more than one page then press the "Enter" key until you reach the end of the list

Type cd rp {number of the second to last folder in the list} and press "Enter".
Note: Example: cd rp9 if the last restore point is rp10

Type cd snapshot and press "Enter".

Type copy _registry_machine_system c:\windows\system32\config\system and press "Enter".

Type copy _registry_machine_software c:\windows\system32\config\software and press "Enter".

Type exit and press "Enter".

Your PC will reboot.

=======================

If you get an access denied error when doing the above, then do the following at the recovery console:

Type cd \ and press "Enter".

Type cd windows\system32\config and press "Enter".

Type ren system system.bak and press "Enter".

Your PC will reboot, go back into the Recovery Console and start from the beginning.

=======

Let me know how this goes.

more_horiz
OK, so, once the recovery process begins, i'm asked to choose 1 C:windows or 2 D: windows. I chose 1.
I got c:windows and a large *not blinking* prompt. no mention of password.
after a while with nothing happening, I try cd \ enter and get to the c: prompt.
then, when i try cd system~1\_resto~1 and press enter, i get ACCESS IS DENIED and back to C:\.

more_horiz
and, I even tried to do installation on the D drive... same Access Denied.
the only difference was that when I chose C, there was no request for password at logon

more_horiz
Did you try this part:
If you get an access denied error when doing the above, then do the following at the recovery console:

Type cd \ and press "Enter".

Type cd windows\system32\config and press "Enter".

Type ren system system.bak and press "Enter".

Your PC will reboot, go back into the Recovery Console and start from the beginning.

more_horiz
OK. So, I have c: and D: options.
When i did C:, i got a message that there was already a file called System.bak, so I tried D.
Went through the whole process (rp785 from 7/03/07) and when I rebooted, the same thing happened.

So, then I got 'smart' and went back to C: - where I renamed to system.bmk - which worked (rp964 1/18/10). I was able to follow the rest of the instructions. When copying the SOFTWARE, and given the choice, I said YES to write over.

however, when I reboot, the same thing happens.
I've tried it with and without the Windows disc in the drive. nothing works.
i either get into the same restart loop or i get into the restore console.

is it time for the jackhammer?

more_horiz
Totally!...no not really. LMBO or ROFL

Anyway, use the XP disc and please do an in-place upgrade of Windows XP.

See this article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/978788

more_horiz
thetiger, this is not your topic, sorry. ~DragonMaster Jay

more_horiz
Oh man, this is deep and scary. I'm having second thoughts about my ability to do it.
so, will all my data be lost when I do this reinstall?

more_horiz
No. Your data will stay put. All of the system files are replaced, and that is all.

more_horiz
Dr. Kevorkian.... paging Dr. Kevorkian....
i'm feeling like this is the oldest computer on our network - and it might just be time to put it out to pasture. This is the 3rd major problem that it's had in less than a year.
Perhaps the most daunting part is the MKB document.
I lose all my confidence when i read it.
That, and several printers are hanging off it - and several other computers with Windows 7 are looking at it. maybe it's just time.
thanks for your help. i'll be making a donation to all you kind GeekPolice.
buff

more_horiz
You're welcome. Good work on following my instructions.

But, if you have any more issues, just let us know. Smile...

=> LOCKED!

If you want this unlocked at a later time, PM me.

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum