WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather Tools
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

descriptionCould someone on my network have banned me from internet? EmptyCould someone on my network have banned me from internet?

more_horiz
A month or so ago my brother told me that he could stop my sister from using the internet, and it would not affect us, just her. I told him shouldn't, and in the end he did not do it.

A few days ago him and I got into an argument. He told me "fine just wait and see, you'll regret it." Right after that we both went into our respective rooms, and we both have our computers in our rooms. I was able to access the internet perfectly, but then, not even two minutes, after he entered his room I could not use it anymore. It kept saying the server timed out or something.

I was wondering, is it really possible stop someone on your network from using the internet? And also, is there anything I can do about it?

Thanks.

descriptionCould someone on my network have banned me from internet? EmptyRe: Could someone on my network have banned me from internet?

more_horiz
Not fully I wouldn't imagine.
Do you use a router? he may have changed some settings. I know you can block websites via routers, but I don't know about internet full stop. LMBO or ROFL

............................................................................................

Site Admin / Security Administrator

Virus Removal ~ OS Support ~ Have we helped you? Help us! ~ GeekChat
- Please PM me if I fail to respond within 24hrs.
Could someone on my network have banned me from internet? DXwU4
Could someone on my network have banned me from internet? VvYDg

descriptionCould someone on my network have banned me from internet? EmptyRe: Could someone on my network have banned me from internet?

more_horiz
Belahzur wrote:
Not fully I wouldn't imagine.
Do you use a router? he may have changed some settings. I know you can block websites via routers, but I don't know about internet full stop. LMBO or ROFL

Yes we have a router. If he did change any settings, how could I change them back?

more_horiz
Ooops.....didn't mean to post over you Bel.

Im assuming your network at home is a WLAN sitting behind a router?

Yes its possible.....if your brother has access to the routers setup, then he can easily restrict any IP address (computers on the network) from internet access.

What you need to do (providing you own/set up the network and not your brother) is to gain control of the username and password to the routers configuration page at a web browser interface!

That's my guess how he is accessing it!

Not sure of your routers make n model, however for a Linksys

Open your web browser( IE, firefox...whatever)

Enter the address http://192.168.1.1/ into your web browser's address field at the top ( THIS IS THE IP ADDRESS OF YOUR ROUTER)

Your then confronted with a log in page!

Enter the Username and Password:

On this router, the default username AND password are both 'admin', all in lowercase letters.

The Router's configuration screen will appear and inside will be a setting option to change the username n password from default.

If your brothers already changed it, access will be denied for you unless you know it.

And i didn't tell you that if this is the case, all you need to do is set the router back to factory default settings via a small reset switch at the rear which you depress for a few seconds.

Regards

more_horiz
Digitalocksmith wrote:

Yes its possible.....if your brother has access to the routers setup, then he can easily restrict any IP address (computers on the network) from internet access.

What you need to do (providing you own/set up the network and not your brother) is to gain control of the username and password to the routers configuration page at a web browser interface!

Enter the address http://192.168.1.1/ into your web browser's address field at the top ( THIS IS THE IP ADDRESS OF YOUR ROUTER)

On this router, the default username AND password are both 'admin', all in lowercase letters.

The Router's configuration screen will appear and inside will be a setting option to change the username n password from default.

If your brothers already changed it, access will be denied for you unless you know it.

And i didn't tell you that if this is the case, all you need to do is set the router back to factory default settings via a small reset switch at the rear which you depress for a few seconds.

Regards

Wow.

Thanks a lot. I am going to try that now.

more_horiz
[quote="demi_flames"]
Digitalocksmith wrote:

Regards

It worked! Big Grin

Thank you so much.

more_horiz
No Probs!

Honored

more_horiz
Haha! A great thing to be able to keep siblings from messing with you! Hooray!

Please, you must tell us your brothers reaction!

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum