Network Setup Wizard and Network Connections won't open in XP

-Network Setup Wizard won't open in XP
-Network Connections won't open in XP

Somebody I know moved recently to a new house, after they setup their computers and small network up and reconnected to their DSL line, both computers could get online but one computer could not open the Network Setup Wizard or Network Connections control panel. Everything worked ok, except the second computer could not see this computer on the network or its shared files or printers.

After making sure both were using the same workgroup name and each had different computer names, I proceeded to dig deeper. Because I could not open the network connections control panel, it wasnt possible to check anything there. I opened a command prompt and tried getting the computer's IP information using the command

IPCONFIG /ALL

Unfortunately I was presented with a message stating the command could not run because of a missing file called WTSAPI32.DLL.

I proceeded to run System File Checker to check for any missing windows files on the computer by following these instructions:

1) Place your Windows XP CD in the CD-ROM Drive and close any autorun screen from Windows XP that may pop up.
2) Click on Start, Run
3) Type SFC /SCANNOW and press Enter to start the System File Checker for Windows XP

If any system files are missing, the program will reinstall the missing files from the Windows XP CD you placed in the CD Drive.

Unfortunately, after running the System File Checker and replacing a couple files then rebooting, I still wasn't able to run IPCONFIG and it still complained about the missing WTSAPI32.DLL file. This DLL file is part of Windows Terminal Server and contains application programming interface (API) calls used by terminal services.

I proceed to manually restore this WTSAPI32.DLL file from the Windows XP CD using this procedure.

1) Place your Windows XP CD in the CD-ROM Drive and close any autorun screen from Windows XP that may pop up.
2) Click on Start, Run
3) Type CMD and press Enter to open the command prompt
4) Type the following command to replace the dll file, substituting the correct drive letter for your CD-ROM drive. In this case replace the D drive letter with the letter corresponding to your CD drive where the Windows XP CD is located. Press Enter after typing the command.

expand D:\I386\WTSAPI32.DL_ C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WTSAPI32.DLL

5) You should see a screen showing the file being expanded and replaced.
6) Type EXIT and Press Enter to close the command prompt
7) Restart your computer

After restarting the computer, I was able to open the Network Connection icon in the Control Panel, run the Network Setup Wizard, and more. The computers could see each other again, and I was able to share a printer and make everything work correctly.

Other Reasons for the Network Setup Wizard Not Opening

Clicking the
Network Icon Does Not Open the Local Area Connection Status Window

After You Bring Your Computer out of Standby

Extra
Protocols in Local Area Connection

............................................................................................

I am a GeekPolice Bot which suggests recommended solutions to common computer problems.