WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather Tools
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

descriptionShould I change my network like this or leave it the same... EmptyShould I change my network like this or leave it the same...

more_horiz
I was thinking today if I should leave my network like it is or go at it another.

CURRENT SETUP
1st Floor
Cable Modem > Belkin Wireless B+G+N Router > Desktop (2 LAN Cards)

2nd Floor
Linksys wirless B+G Router (repeater bridge) > Xbox 360

Wireless
Wii

Wired or Wireless (at times)
Netbook
Notebook

The setup I was thinking about is:

1st Floor
Cable Modem > Desktop (using 1 of the LAN Cards) > Belkin Wireless B+G+N Router > Desktop (using 1 of the LAN Cards)

2nd Floor
Same as Current Setup

Wireless
Wii

Wired or Wireless (at times)
Netbook
Notebook

current and new network settings
IP
192.168.0.4 - 192.168.0.10 Reserved for Visitors
192.168.0.100 - 192.168.0.110 Reserved for My Use\Devices

DNS

Gateway

............................................................................................

Thanks in advance and may God continue to bless you!

descriptionShould I change my network like this or leave it the same... EmptyRe: Should I change my network like this or leave it the same...

more_horiz
gdtjr wrote:
I was thinking today if I should leave my network like it is or go at it another.

CURRENT SETUP
1st Floor
Cable Modem > Belkin Wireless B+G+N Router > Desktop (2 LAN Cards)

Dont see the need for multiple LAN cards as the Belkin routes the signal wirlessly to the desktops adaptor and the repeater upstairs!

Your second setup option changes one thing.....running the belkin between the 2 Lan cards for which i see no need for bridging. (unless im missing something here?)

Running static IP's in preference to DHCP is a personal choice for greater LAN device management or setup specifics.

Your assignments look fine!

descriptionShould I change my network like this or leave it the same... EmptyRe: Should I change my network like this or leave it the same...

more_horiz
The reason I have 2 LAN cards is that I thought, when i installed the 2nd one, that i could assign each card to either be internet only and or local network only. Being that I haven't found a way for that I figured just leave the 2nd card installed...I have noticed a difference as in when a person is on the desktop browsing the internet it doesn't lag or slow the other card down for when I am using the Xbox 360 Extender.

............................................................................................

more_horiz
Hehe....no, it doesnt work like that!

A network card is the physical interface between the computer and the cable connection leading through your ISP to the WAN (internet).

Very basically, it converts the data sent by the computer into a form which can
be used by the network cable, transfers that data to another computer
and controls the dataflow between the computer and cable. (transport layer)

It also
translates the data coming from the cable into bytes so that the
computer's CPU can read it. This is why a network card is an expansion
card inserted into an expansion slot.

Its much more in depth than this, but hopefully this will set you on the right path to understanding the role of network adaptors in networking.

Regards

more_horiz
Yes, I am only in the 10th grade and I want to have a career in networking and or something related to computers. So thank you for trying to help me to understand.

But is it possible to put the cable coming from the modem to one of the computer cards and then lead the other wire out of the computer toward the router?

more_horiz
Its possible but it makes no sense..... this way but you leave yourself exposed as the desktop computer will not be situated behind the router!

Why would you want your computer situated between the modem and the router?

Keep reading!

more_horiz
I was thinking about using IIS 6.0 on my Windows XP Media Center 2005 desktop... I restored it from Vista Ultimate to this.

But now I'm second guessing it ... into reference on what you have poseted.

more_horiz
Yeah.....Its important (security wise) that you have all of LAN clients (computers) on the inside of the routers hardware firewall!

This should be regardless of what OS your running on them!

Should I change my network like this or leave it the same... 31193911dk9

Good Luck!

more_horiz
Okay... Thank You! Awesome (sparkly)

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum