WiredWX Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

I think i have malware... please help

3 posters

descriptionI think i have malware... please help EmptyI think i have malware... please help

more_horiz
Hi

I downloaded a file, and when i tried to install, it started adding shortcuts to internet pages etc on my desktop, it changed my internet browser.

Windows defender picked it up and quarantined it, i then deleted all the links from my desktop, reset firefox to default, and uninstalled Web discover from my add/remove programs.

I installed malwarebytes and ran that a couple of times, it found things, quarantined them and i deleted them, i installed avast and ran the scans,
i ran adwcleaner, junkware removal tool and anti root kit.

After running everything i ran them again and they all said nothing found,

But my pc is still playing up,
when i first boot up my pc all my desktop items look strange and are not showing correctly

I think i have malware... please help Screen10

When i right mouse click and then press REFRESH, they return to normal, except zip files look funny and alot more cartoonish.

I think i have malware... please help Screen11

and one of the worse things that keeps happening and is annoying the hell out of me,
when i try upload an image online it just crashes on me, and i have to close the browser and start again.

For example i am trying to design a Tshirt on vistaprint, and when i click to upload an image from my computer, the box opens to choose my image, but its just a white box, and says not responding in the top left corner.

These are the only things i have noticed so far...

Look forward to your help, once again, thank you

I am on Windows 10

descriptionI think i have malware... please help EmptyRe: I think i have malware... please help

more_horiz
Hello and welcome to GeekPolice.Net My name is Dave. I will be helping you out with your particular problem on your computer.

1. I will be working on your Malware issues. This may or may not solve other issues you have with your machine.
2. The fixes are specific to your problem and should only be used for this issue on this machine.
3. If you don't know or understand something, please don't hesitate to ask.
4. Please DO NOT run any other tools or scans while I am helping you.
5. It is important that you reply to this thread. Do not start a new topic.
6. Your security programs may give warnings for some of the tools I will ask you to use. Be assured, any links I give are safe.
7. Absence of symptoms does not mean that everything is clear.

If you can't access the internet with your infected computer you will have to download and transfer any programs to the computer you're using now and transfer them to the infected computer with a CD-RW or a USB storage device. I prefer a CD because a storage device can get infected. If you use a storage device hold the shift key down while inserting the USB storage device for about 10 secs. You will also have to transfer the logs you receive back to the good computer using the same method until we can get the computer back on-line.
Do you have any problems opening programs or files on your computer?
Do you have Avast activated?

ESET Online Scanner
Note : If you use Internet Explorer to get the ESET Online Scanner, you won't have to download, nor install the tool, as everything will be ran in a contextual (pop-up) window of Internet Explorer. However, for every other browsers, you will have to download and install ESET Online Scanner. In this set of instruction, I'll use Google Chrome to download it and run it (since a lot of people will do it), however, except for the download and installation procedure, the same instructions applies if you use Internet Explorer. Please note that two or three prompts will appear if you use Internet Explorer asking you to reload the page, authorize the application, execute it, etc. Accept all of them in order to run ESET Online Scanner.

Download and execute ESET OnlineScan (on this window, click on ESET Smart Installer to trigger the download). People accessing this URL via Internet Explorer will start the integration process of ESET Online Scanner in their browser;
Once the installation is done (it requires Admin Rights), check the following settings (two of them are under Advanced Settings, click on it to display them) :

Enable detection of potentially unwanted applications;
Scan archives;
Scan for potentially unsafe applications;
Optional : If you want to scan more drives, click on Change... and select the drives you want to include in the scan;

I think i have malware... please help Lilp6C2_1

After you're done checking these options, click on Start and ESET Online Scanner will download it's virus signature database before starting the scan;

I think i have malware... please help PbI6QoP_1
Once done, the scan will start automatically. Detections will appear at the bottom of the window. ESET Online Scanner can have an extremely long scan time that can last between 2 or 3 hours. So if you start the scan, do not interrupt it, let it complete until the end;

I think i have malware... please help IYk249p_1
After the scan is finished, a summary window will appear to give you the information about the scan. Then you'll have to the option to see what threads were found and to manage the threats that were quarantined;

I think i have malware... please help SQWS56I

Click on List of found threats, it'll display every threat identified during that scan, their type and what action was taken against them. Click on Copy to clipboard to copy these results on our clipboard and post them in your next reply;

I think i have malware... please help OkgGDKc_1

Once you're done, click on the Back button;
Check both checkboxes at the bottom: Uninstall application on close and Delete quarantined files before clicking on the Finish button;

descriptionI think i have malware... please help EmptyRe: I think i have malware... please help

more_horiz
I did have problems opening files, it would do nothing after double clicking a folder on my desktop,
but this problem seems to have gone now.

I do still have problems opening folders,
The first folder will open no problems, but it crashes if i try open a folder that is inside a folder.

** an update on this....
I have the problem opening folders on my desktop - So this is my SSD Boot Drive (Drive: C)
My folders on my storage drive (Drive: D) i can open them no problems, but the images dont show and folder icons etc

Yes Avast is now active

more_horiz
Windows 10 comes with its own AV called Windows Defender. If both WD and Avast are active they could cause conflicts. Make sure one is disabled. Did you run the ESET scan?

more_horiz
Ok, i will uninstall Avast, i only downloaded that after the problems started,

Yes i ran Eset, but it didnt finish until last night when i was going to bed,
I forgot to get the report before clicking the options and closing Eset,
i did see it had found some threats and deleted them etc

I ran the scan again this morning but only on Drive C (my boot drive) and it found 0 problems,
i have set it off again to do a full scan again and will get the report this time

more_horiz
I think i have malware... please help Screen12

When i was adding that image i clicked to host image and then clicked to select file, and then the box popped up showing my files etc, but it just said not responding, i had to close it.
I had to drag the file in to get it to add.

more_horiz
Please give me a update on how your computer is working now?

more_horiz
It is still doing the same,
I have the problem opening folders on my desktop - SSD Boot Drive (Drive: C)
My folders on my storage drive (Drive: D) i can open them no problems, but the images dont show and folder icons etc

And when i tried to upload the following images it crashed again, and i had to restart my browser, i had to drag the images in

Even the folder THIS PC wont load, first image below shows, the green loading bar moves so slow, and just stops at the end

and when i try open a folder within a folder, 2nd image shows what happens, just says not responding and i have to close it

I think i have malware... please help Screen13
I think i have malware... please help Screen14

more_horiz
Please try transferring one of those folders to your storage drive and see if it will open. What kind of files are in those folders?

more_horiz
The first image on my last message is THIS PC (normally known has My Computer)

I think i have malware... please help Screen15

This opens up the area that shows my Drives, c drive, d drive, e drive etc

that when i try open the green load bar moves seriously slow,

I have just copied a folder that would not open over to my D drive storage drive,
and the folder opened super quick and perfectly fine,

All that is in this folder is hundreds of email templates .txt files

I think i have malware... please help Screen16

more_horiz
I suspect something is going bad with your main Drive C: You should not hesitate to transfer all your important data to your storage before it fails completely. Since this is a new technology, still SSDs are lagging behind hard disks in terms of lifespan and reliability. There are some tools that can be used to check the SSD drive but I'm not sure how reliable they are.

more_horiz
The C Drive SSD i only purchased 4 months ago brand new Sad tearing

more_horiz
fubar1010 wrote:
The C Drive SSD i only purchased 4 months ago brand new Sad tearing

You should check to see if there is a warranty on it.

more_horiz
I did a long generic scan using sea tools

I think i have malware... please help Screen17

more_horiz
Sorry, I can't read that image. Run hard drive diagnostics: tacktech.com
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: imgburn to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.
For Toshiba hard drives, see here:

Note : If you do not know how to set your computer to boot from CD follow the steps here

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum