WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather Tools
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

descriptionBlue Screen of Death - Page 1 EmptyRe: Blue Screen of Death

more_horiz
I  have not noticed any unusual beeping.

I did not get an error message but the code is as follows.

STOP:  0x0000001E  (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005,  0xFFFFFA800696610,  0x0000000000000000, 0x000007FFFFFA8000)

more_horiz
Do you have the OS disk for that computer? If not, is there a Recovery partition installed?

more_horiz
Could you explain to me what each of those are?

more_horiz
collegestudent wrote:
Could you explain to me what each of those are?

OS is your Windows 7 disk and to find if you have the Recovery partition left-click on My Computer and it will list the drives. The C drive would be your main drive where Windows 7 is installed and if there is a recovery partition you will probably find it on the D drive. If you didn't receive the Win7 disk when you purchased your computer there is very likely a Recovery partition.

more_horiz
I could not find the recovery partition. The D Drive told me to insert a CD to access it.

As far as the OS disc I have a disc that came with my computer it is called Drivers and Utilities.  Not sure if that is the same thing. Other than that I will have to wait till I go home in another week to determine whether I have the disc or not.

more_horiz
Ok, it would appear that you don't have a Recovery Partition. The disk you found would not be the correct disk. I've never seen a Windows 7 OS disk but if it's anything like XP you can't mistake it. I suspect that a bad driver is causing your problem and we'll need the OS disk to replace the ntoskrnl.exe file  which is critical in your boot up. If you can't find the OS disk, perhaps you can borrow one but it must be the exact same model that's installed on your computer. 

more_horiz
It seems I am unable to find a copy of the OS disk either. I never received one when I purchased my computer. Do I have any further options? I am most likely just going to send the computer in for repairs.

more_horiz
It seems I am unable to find a copy of the OS disk either. I never received one when I purchased my computer. Do I have any further options? I am most likely just going to send the computer in for repairs..

Here are the reasons why the NTOSKRNL.EXE is causing a blue screen. You can check these out, if you wish.

more_horiz
I talked with Dell Tech support and they are sending me the OS Disk. So it seems that I will be able to reinstall Windows 7 after all.

more_horiz
Well, that is good new. Below, please find a list of free AV programs. Please install one after you get your computer running and make sure you turn on Windows Defender to protect yourself. I recommend MicroSoft Security Essentials.

Remember to only install one antivirus!

1) Avast! Home Edition
2) AVG Free Edition
3) Avira AntiVir Personal
4) MicroSoft Security Essentials All versions and all languages.
5) Comodo Antivirus (Uncheck during installation "Install Comodo SafeSurf..", Make Comodo my default search provider" and "Make Comodo Search my homepage" if you choose this one)
6) PC Tools AntiVirus Free Edition

It is strongly recommended that you run only one antivirus program at a time. Having more than one antivirus program active in memory uses additional resources and can result in program conflicts and false virus alerts. If you choose to install more than one antivirus program on your computer, then only one of them should be active in memory at a time.

more_horiz
When I receive my OS disk is there any special steps I have to follow when I put it in my computer or is it all pretty much self-explanatory?

more_horiz
I reinstalled that OS disk. Now I have to reinstall all the drivers and get my laptop back to what it was before the reinstall. How to I go about making sure everything is back to the way it was?

more_horiz
collegestudent wrote:
I reinstalled that OS disk. Now I have to reinstall all the drivers and get my laptop back to what it was before the reinstall. How to I go about making sure everything is back to the way it was?

I was going to suggest to do a repair only but now that you re-installed the OS please tell me how the computer is functioning.

more_horiz
Well when I contacted Dell for the disc they instructed me to reinstall. As far as I can tell everything is running properly. Now I just need to reinstall all my programs. How do I go about ensuring that all my drivers and everything is up to date?

more_horiz
How do I go about ensuring that all my drivers and everything is up to date?.

If it's working fine then there's no need to do anything with the drivers. Re-install your programs and you're good to go.

more_horiz
Awesome, thank you so much for all your help.

more_horiz
You're welcome. I will lock this thread. If you need it re-opened, please send me a pm.

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum