WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather Tools
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

descriptionaxel.dav, full :D drive, high fan speeds - Page 2 EmptyRe: axel.dav, full :D drive, high fan speeds

more_horiz
That should be the Recovery drive, right?

descriptionaxel.dav, full :D drive, high fan speeds - Page 2 EmptyRe: axel.dav, full :D drive, high fan speeds

more_horiz
Yes, the D drive, or recovery drive/partition. I guess my original colon and letter D got turned into an emoticon.

more_horiz
Now, I'm confused. AXEL.DAV showing up on D:\ drive too?

more_horiz
Sorry if I've confused you.

I've run the four scans you requested and posted the log for Security Check by screen317 for you to see.

You also wanted to know how my machine is running, to which I replied that the fan(s) were still racing high periodically, and I am still getting a pop-up in the notification area about low disc space on the D drive.

Investigating the D drive, I found that it is completely full and has ZERO free space available. Of approximately 8.5 GB of files 7.5 GB of those are taken up by the folders PRELOAD and I386. I had previously posted a mediafire file of the screenshot of the D drive contents. Did you see it?

To reply to your question about axel.dav on the D drive, I don't know if it is (or was) on there. A windows file search of C and D for "axel.dav" just now showed zero results found, so I think that is all gone.

Now all I'm aware of is the full D drive and high fan noise. If I could solve that and be able to run a system recovery I would be happy.

more_horiz
It is customary for a Recovery partition to be almost full. You have the option of expanding that partition if you like, but it doesn't surprise me that it's almost full.

Do you have a Desktop or Laptop PC?

Probably would be best to clean the fans with canned air.

more_horiz
My machine is a desktop.

You've probably seen the folders on my D drive @:

http://www.mediafire.com/?fzx5vfvb19l3uud

. . . and you don't think any of those aren't necessary or supposed to be there and can be deleted?

The pop-up in the notification area tells me that it is TOO full. If all the files in there are necessary and belong there, then what do I do to expand the partition?

As far as the fans go, I thought they were racing due to the full D drive. I never thought that they might just be dirty. If that's the case I'll try the canned air.

My ultimate goal was to do a complete system recovery. Do you see any reason why I can't do that now?

more_horiz
It can be done, yes.

The full D: drive is not a big deal. It's probably just a partition.

more_horiz
So, you're saying I can go ahead and try the system resrore now?

I assume returning the machine to the mfg's original settings would clear up the full D drive situation , too?

more_horiz
Correction to last post: I said system restore, but I meant system RECOVERY.

more_horiz
Worth a try. Go ahead. Do you want to try to backup data first? Might want to. Then go ahead and try.

more_horiz
Already done a recovery -- successfully I might add. I'm going to try some canned air on those fans -- the only issue left!

I want to thank you most sincerely for all your help, DragonMaster Jay!! I shall bookmark your site in case I ever get into trouble with a PC again.

One question, though. Throughout all of this troubleshooting and posting I've found myself wondering what you get out of running this forum and helping people out with their computer issues? Just curious . . .

Thank you again for all your help. Consider your forum RECOMMENDED!!

more_horiz
For me, I get nothing. Sadly, the administrator takes all profits, in addition to putting some towards the operation of this site.

I run one other site, which I make nothing at right now, not even ad revenue. I also am a staff member of another forum, and I occasionally get donations towards my work.

Personal Tips on Preventing Malware (my writings)

See this page for more info about malware and prevention.

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum