WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather Tools
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

descriptionHard drive question-- partitioned or separate drive EmptyHard drive question-- partitioned or separate drive

more_horiz
I have a C drive and a D drive. How do you tell if these are actually 2 hard drives or if it's one drive partitioned.

Also, what is the purpose of a partitioned drive?

If indeed it is partitioned, is there any way to save stuff from D drive when the hard drive fails or since the whole drive is dead, is it gone as well?

Thanks in advance!

descriptionHard drive question-- partitioned or separate drive EmptyRe: Hard drive question-- partitioned or separate drive

more_horiz
The advantage of having the OS on one partition and your files on the other is: if you run into a problem and need to reformat windows, it will wipe the whole of C:\, but D:\ will be left alone.

............................................................................................

Site Admin / Security Administrator

Virus Removal ~ OS Support ~ Have we helped you? Help us! ~ GeekChat
- Please PM me if I fail to respond within 24hrs.
Hard drive question-- partitioned or separate drive DXwU4
Hard drive question-- partitioned or separate drive VvYDg

descriptionHard drive question-- partitioned or separate drive EmptyRe: Hard drive question-- partitioned or separate drive

more_horiz
Belahzur wrote:
The advantage of having the OS on one partition and your files on the other is: if you run into a problem and need to reformat windows, it will wipe the whole of C:\, but D:\ will be left alone.

So, like if Windows is installed on C:\ , then you recommend all other files like pictures, videos, documents, etc. be put on D:\ in case Windows needs to be reformatted?

What about installing Software? Still install it on C:\ or install it on D:\?

But, what about if you have a hard drive failure....does that mean that everything on D is gone as well?

Oh, and how can you tell if it's actually a separate hard drive or if it is partitioned?

more_horiz
Seperate hardrive will mean having two HD's inside your machine, take the lid and have a peek. (DO NOT touch the inside of the machine if it's left on, you'll fry it otherwise)

If it's partition, there will only be 1 HD.

So, like if Windows is installed on C:\ , then you recommend all other files like pictures, videos, documents, etc. be put on D:\ in case Windows needs to be reformatted?

Bingo.

............................................................................................

Site Admin / Security Administrator

Virus Removal ~ OS Support ~ Have we helped you? Help us! ~ GeekChat
- Please PM me if I fail to respond within 24hrs.
Hard drive question-- partitioned or separate drive DXwU4
Hard drive question-- partitioned or separate drive VvYDg

more_horiz
If you have an OEM computer and have never partitioned your hard drive before, then the D:\ drive is most likely to be the recovery partition, which I would not want to touch.

Most of the time people who partition their hard drive will store all their data on D:\ if the OS is installed on C:\, so you would not need to worry if you need to do a sudden format. If say, the OS crashes turns unusable overnight, you can format it without worrying to lose any data.

Please be a GeekPolice fan on Facebook!

Hard drive question-- partitioned or separate drive Lambo-11

Have we helped you? Help us! | Doctor by day, ninja by night.

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum