WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather Tools
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

descriptionaxel.dav, full :D drive, high fan speeds - Page 1 EmptyRe: axel.dav, full :D drive, high fan speeds

more_horiz
http://www.mediafire.com/?fzx5vfvb19l3uud

descriptionaxel.dav, full :D drive, high fan speeds - Page 1 EmptyRe: axel.dav, full :D drive, high fan speeds

more_horiz
Sorry, please retry that. It says "Invalid or Deleted File".

more_horiz
Had to run OTL w/ c:\axel.dav /s again, as I did not save the original log. Hope this still gives results you need. Link:

http://www.mediafire.com/?h52s03s4tt26xz2

more_horiz
Let's try this... it will delete all occurrences of axel.dav on your drive...

Please run OTL
  • Under the Custom Scans/Fixes box at the bottom, copy and paste in the following:

:files
    c:\axel.dav /s

:commands
    [emptytemp]
    [reboot]

• Then click the Run Fix button at the top.
  • Note: The fix for OTL automatically hides your Desktop and Start menu so the fix can be completed. Do not be alerted, this is normal.
  • Please do not exit the program. It might take a while to fix, but allow it to run. If it asks to reboot the computer, allow it to reboot. If the program freezes, and the computer fails to reboot - let me know.
    Lastly, post the contents of the log. (Located at C:\_OTL\Moved Files)

more_horiz
http://www.mediafire.com/?vqi6rvsl10gigjk

more_horiz
Hi! Your logs appear to be clean. If there are no more issues, then we shall clean up!

Clean up System Restore

Now, to get you off to a clean start, we will be creating a new Restore Point, then clearing the old ones to make sure you do not get reinfected, in case you need to "restore back."
  • Select Start > All Programs > Accessories > System tools > System Restore.
  • On the dialogue box that appears select Create a Restore Point
  • Click NEXT
  • Enter a name e.g. Clean
  • Click CREATE

You now have a clean restore point, to get rid of the bad ones:
  • Select Start > All Programs > Accessories > System tools > Disk Cleanup.
  • In the Drop down box that appears select your main drive e.g. C
  • Click OK
  • The System will do some calculation and the display a dialogue box with TABS
  • Select the More Options Tab.
  • At the bottom will be a system restore box with a CLEANUP button click this
  • Accept the Warning and select OK again, the program will close and you are done

Run OTC to remove our tools

To remove all of the tools we used and the files and folders they created, please do the following:
Please download OTC.exe by OldTimer:
  • Save it to your Desktop.
  • Double click OTC.exe.
  • Click the CleanUp! button.
  • If you are prompted to Reboot during the cleanup, select Yes.
  • The tool will delete itself once it finishes.

Note: If any tool, file or folder (belonging to the program we have used) hasn't been deleted, please delete it manually.

Purge old temporary files

Download CCleaner Slim and save it to your Desktop - Alternate download link

When the file has been saved, go to your Desktop and double-click on ccsetupxxx_slim.exe
Follow the prompts to install the program.

* Double-click the CCleaner shortcut on the desktop to start the program.
* Click on the Options block on the left, then choose Cookies.
* Under Cookies to Delete, highlight any cookies you would like to retain permanently
* Click the right arrow > to move them to the Cookies to Keep window.
* Go into Options > Advanced & uncheck Only delete files in Windows Temp folders older than 48 hours
* Click Cleaner on the left then Run Cleaner on the right to run the program.
* Important: Make sure that ALL browser windows are closed before selecting Run Cleaner

Caution: Only use the Registry feature if you are very familiar with the registry.
Always back up your registry before making any changes. Exit CCleaner after it has completed it's process.

Security Check

Please download Security Check by screen317 from SpywareInfoforum.org or Changelog.fr.
  • Save it to your Desktop.
  • Double click SecurityCheck.exe and follow the onscreen instructions inside of the black box.
  • A Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt; please post the contents of that document.

Tell me in your next reply, if you have completed these tasks:
  • Cleaned System Restore
  • Ran OTC
  • Ran CCleaner
  • Ran Security Check

Also, let me know how your computer is running, and don't forget to post the contents of the Security Check log.

more_horiz
Cleaned old restore points. Ran OTC, CCleaner, and Security Chk. Log below.

Cooling fan still running high.

Should I try System Recovery now?

Results of screen317's Security Check version 0.99.46
Windows XP Service Pack 2 x86
Out of date service pack!!
Internet Explorer 6 Out of date!
``````````````Antivirus/Firewall Check:``````````````
Windows Security Center service is not running! This report may not be accurate!
Windows Firewall Disabled!
Please wait while WMIC is being installed.d
i
s
p
l
a
y
N
a
m
e
ECHO is off.
Z
o
n
e
A
l
a
r
m
ECHO is off.
F
r
e
ECHO is off.
F
i
r
e
w
a
l
ECHO is off.
A
n
t
i
v
i
r
u
s
ECHO is off.
N
o
r
t
o
n
ECHO is off.
I
n
t
e
r
n
e
t
ECHO is off.
S
e
c
u
r
i
t
y
ECHO is off.
ECHO is off.
Antivirus up to date!
`````````Anti-malware/Other Utilities Check:`````````
CCleaner
Adobe Reader 7 Adobe Reader out of Date!
````````Process Check: objlist.exe by Laurent````````
CheckPoint ZoneAlarm vsmon.exe
CheckPoint ZoneAlarm zatray.exe
`````````````````System Health check`````````````````
Total Fragmentation on Drive C:: 4%
````````````````````End of Log``````````````````````

more_horiz
I might also add that the D disc/recovery partition is completely full with zero bytes free space showing in its "properties". Total fragmentation is 13%, but I cannot run defrag it, as it needs 15% of the space free to run. It advises me to remove some unnecessary files to free up space.

more_horiz
I looked at the folders on D and ALMOST ALL of the full drive's contents are in two folders: PRELOAD and I386.

more_horiz
Image of D drive contents: http://www.mediafire.com/?xboc4jld3lqv8sc

more_horiz
That should be the Recovery drive, right?

more_horiz
Yes, the D drive, or recovery drive/partition. I guess my original colon and letter D got turned into an emoticon.

more_horiz
Now, I'm confused. AXEL.DAV showing up on D:\ drive too?

more_horiz
Sorry if I've confused you.

I've run the four scans you requested and posted the log for Security Check by screen317 for you to see.

You also wanted to know how my machine is running, to which I replied that the fan(s) were still racing high periodically, and I am still getting a pop-up in the notification area about low disc space on the D drive.

Investigating the D drive, I found that it is completely full and has ZERO free space available. Of approximately 8.5 GB of files 7.5 GB of those are taken up by the folders PRELOAD and I386. I had previously posted a mediafire file of the screenshot of the D drive contents. Did you see it?

To reply to your question about axel.dav on the D drive, I don't know if it is (or was) on there. A windows file search of C and D for "axel.dav" just now showed zero results found, so I think that is all gone.

Now all I'm aware of is the full D drive and high fan noise. If I could solve that and be able to run a system recovery I would be happy.

more_horiz
It is customary for a Recovery partition to be almost full. You have the option of expanding that partition if you like, but it doesn't surprise me that it's almost full.

Do you have a Desktop or Laptop PC?

Probably would be best to clean the fans with canned air.

more_horiz
My machine is a desktop.

You've probably seen the folders on my D drive @:

http://www.mediafire.com/?fzx5vfvb19l3uud

. . . and you don't think any of those aren't necessary or supposed to be there and can be deleted?

The pop-up in the notification area tells me that it is TOO full. If all the files in there are necessary and belong there, then what do I do to expand the partition?

As far as the fans go, I thought they were racing due to the full D drive. I never thought that they might just be dirty. If that's the case I'll try the canned air.

My ultimate goal was to do a complete system recovery. Do you see any reason why I can't do that now?

more_horiz
It can be done, yes.

The full D: drive is not a big deal. It's probably just a partition.

more_horiz
So, you're saying I can go ahead and try the system resrore now?

I assume returning the machine to the mfg's original settings would clear up the full D drive situation , too?

more_horiz
Correction to last post: I said system restore, but I meant system RECOVERY.

more_horiz
Worth a try. Go ahead. Do you want to try to backup data first? Might want to. Then go ahead and try.

more_horiz
Already done a recovery -- successfully I might add. I'm going to try some canned air on those fans -- the only issue left!

I want to thank you most sincerely for all your help, DragonMaster Jay!! I shall bookmark your site in case I ever get into trouble with a PC again.

One question, though. Throughout all of this troubleshooting and posting I've found myself wondering what you get out of running this forum and helping people out with their computer issues? Just curious . . .

Thank you again for all your help. Consider your forum RECOMMENDED!!

more_horiz
For me, I get nothing. Sadly, the administrator takes all profits, in addition to putting some towards the operation of this site.

I run one other site, which I make nothing at right now, not even ad revenue. I also am a staff member of another forum, and I occasionally get donations towards my work.

Personal Tips on Preventing Malware (my writings)

See this page for more info about malware and prevention.

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum