WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather Tools
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

descriptionmy c drive has a red line through it - Page 1 Emptyduplicates c and d drive movie maker

more_horiz
Jan2011 wrote:
What duplicated files are you talking abou?

the one I found for example is movie maker its a large filemy c drive has a red line through it - Page 1 Qyvjsxmy c drive has a red line through it - Page 1 2j41ssz

descriptionmy c drive has a red line through it - Page 1 EmptyRe: my c drive has a red line through it

more_horiz
Movie Maker is part of Vista, you can't uninstall it. Well, I guess you could delete the folder but it might bite you in the rear end. You really don't want to mess with the operating system files.

I wouldn't mess with those other items in the C Program Files directory either. I just don't know what the consequences would be.

Maybe someone here knows of a free disk repartition app. I think that's what you need to do.

descriptionmy c drive has a red line through it - Page 1 Emptythanks for helping me

more_horiz
Jan2011 wrote:
Movie Maker is part of Vista, you can't uninstall it. Well, I guess you could delete the folder but it might bite you in the rear end. You really don't want to mess with the operating system files.

I wouldn't mess with those other items in the C Program Files directory either. I just don't know what the consequences would be.

Maybe someone here knows of a free disk repartition app. I think that's what you need to do.

I appriciate all the foot work you have done for me , I learned a lot from yo and Ill check out a free disk partiotion app

descriptionmy c drive has a red line through it - Page 1 EmptyRe: my c drive has a red line through it

more_horiz
I'll be following to see what others have to say about this. I can't believe you are alone with this problem.

descriptionmy c drive has a red line through it - Page 1 Emptythank yo again

more_horiz
Jan2011 wrote:
I'll be following to see what others have to say about this. I can't believe you are alone with this problem.

I think its such a touchy area to esolve the problem that no one has a real answer, it probably has to be like a take over my computer by the manufacturer in which Im well off the warrantee ,how ever I found out that windows vista has a free program in the sytem itself in the comtrol panel , how ever it is very complicated to me a novice, here is a site just o give you an idea how to use it,thanks again http://www.lytebyte.com/2007/02/19/how-to-partition-in-windows-vista-extend-and-shrink/

more_horiz
How about that! I didn't know that you could do that in Vista. I've always used Disk Director.

So what you have to do is to shrink the D partition to free up space that can then be added to the C partition. Once there is some free (unallocated) space available, use that to extend the C partition. Try 20 GB.

descriptionmy c drive has a red line through it - Page 1 EmptyD and C partiotions

more_horiz
Jan2011 wrote:
How about that! I didn't know that you could do that in Vista. I've always used Disk Director.

So what you have to do is to shrink the D partition to free up space that can then be added to the C partition. Once there is some free (unallocated) space available, use that to extend the C partition. Try 20 GB.

wouldnt I have to shrink the C first, thats the drive with low space ?

more_horiz
nope. D has lots of extra space that's not being used. Shrink D by 20 GB. Then you will have 20 GB of unallocated space. It's unallocated because it's not being used by either C or D.

Now, C needs the extra space because it's full. Expand that C into the unallocated space.

Think of it as C and D are rooms in a house. C is a small rooom full of furniture. C is a large room with lots of space that isn't being used. So to make the C room larger, you're going to make the D room smaller by moving a wall. Once the room is made smaller by moving the wall, the C room can use the space that was once in the D room.

descriptionmy c drive has a red line through it - Page 1 Emptyuse that to extend the C partition.

more_horiz
Jan2011 wrote:
nope. D has lots of extra space that's not being used. Shrink D by 20 GB. Then you will have 20 GB of unallocated space. It's unallocated because it's not being used by either C or D.

Now, C needs the extra space because it's full. Expand that C into the unallocated space.

Think of it as C and D are rooms in a house. C is a small rooom full of furniture. C is a large room with lots of space that isn't being used. So to make the C room larger, you're going to make the D room smaller by moving a wall. Once the room is made smaller by moving the wall, the C room can use the space that was once in the D room.

Ok now that I can shrink the D drive, how to I use that to extend the C partition.. I never extended a partiton ? and when I do this will this free up the C drive to make the red line go away?my c drive has a red line through it - Page 1 1snndd

more_horiz
Well, it's going to take some work. You'll have to read the link you posted:

http://www.lytebyte.com/2007/02/19/how-to-partition-in-windows-vista-extend-and-shrink/

Follow the instructions to shrink a partition and then the instructions to extend a partition.

It's a bit involved, but it is straightforward.

more_horiz
Jan2011 wrote:
Well, it's going to take some work. You'll have to read the link you posted:

http://www.lytebyte.com/2007/02/19/how-to-partition-in-windows-vista-extend-and-shrink/

Follow the instructions to shrink a partition and then the instructions to extend a partition.

It's a bit involved, but it is straightforward.

ok thank you again foe al your help

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum