WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather Tools
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

Tidserv Activity 2

2 posters

descriptionTidserv Activity 2 - Page 2 EmptyRe: Tidserv Activity 2

more_horiz
Yes - and all the rest of it as well

more_horiz
I'm as sure as I can be that I followed all the instructions today to the letter.

more_horiz
Will you please try that fix again. It is supposed to fix your connection problem

more_horiz
Hi Dave
Well I went carefully through that process again and still FSS says Unable to open NetBt registry key.
I have screen shots of the process as I actioned it but don't see any way to send them to you. Sometimes there is a file attachment box here sometimes not??? Not one here right now.
FSS complained that there was an Autolt Error on Line 2443 when I ran it "Error: Variable used without being declared" so I downloaded FSS.exe afresh from the link you gave me and used the new version but still got the same error. Cheez this is painful - I never could understand when I heard that some people just dumped their virus-laden computers and went and bought a new one - now I do! In fact, although I still want to get this machine back in its right mind, I've decided that it is time to replace it as my main desktop after nearly nine years - It's amazing , given the grunty work I do on it like SolidWorks and Mefisto microwave models, that it has lasted me as well as it has. I have, very reluctantly, sprung for a new machine which is being built as I write (I hope).
Best regards
Clive
P.S. I should probably mentioned previously that the XP machine has not been booting cleanly for several years since I had a hard drive crash and replaced it with a new HDD and wrote the old (DriveImage XML) image back to the new drive. It kinda worked but I have to hit F2 as it is booting and then boot from within the BIOS. The boot order is correct. After - I'm afraid to say it really - 51 years dealing with computers on a daily basis I have always been able to troubleshoot things that aren't right and get myself out of trouble but this time - no!) Yeah! 51 years! I'll be 73 in February - am I the oldest geek in the world? I'm surely not. But I'll swear to you I am not making any errors. Not Ga Ga yet!

==================================================
Farbar Service Scanner
Ran by Clive (administrator) on 30-12-2011 at 17:35:25
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 3 (X86)
Boot Mode: Normal

Internet Services:
============
Dhcp Service is not running. Checking service configuration:
The start type of Dhcp service is OK.
The ImagePath of Dhcp service is OK.
The ServiceDll of Dhcp service is OK.

NetBt Service is not running. Checking service configuration:
Checking Start type: Attention! Unable to open NetBt registry key. The service key does not exist.
Checking ImagePath: Attention! Unable to open NetBt registry key. The service key does not exist.

Connection Status:
==============
Localhost is accessible.
There is no connection to network.
Attempt to access Google IP returned error: Google IP is unreachable
Attempt to access Yahoo IP returend error: Yahoo IP is unreachable

more_horiz
Hi Again Dave
I found this advice on http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic434831.html
================================================
You have missing/corrupted two registry keys.

Following steps involve registry editing. Please create new restore point before proceeding!!!
How to:
XP - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/948247
Vista and Seven - http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/create-a-restore-point-for-windows-vistas-system-restore/

Download XP.zip file from here: http://www.smartestcomputing.us.com/files/download/9-registry-network-keys/
Unzip the file.
You'll find several files inside.
Right click on netbt.reg file, click "Merge".
Allow registry merge.

Then....

Please go to Start=>Run (alternatively use Windows key+R), type regedit and click OK.
Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root
Right-Click Root and select Permissions...
Under Security type while Everyone is selected put a check mark in the box under Allow next to Full Control.
Click Apply and OK.
Go back to files you download in previous step.
Double-click LEGACY_netbt.reg and confirm the prompt.
Please go back to the the Root key again while Everyone is selected remove check mark in the box under Allow next to Full Control and close the registry.
============================================

So I followed it (note that includes the action
"Right click on netbt.reg file, click "Merge".
Allow registry merge."
which we hadn't been doing.

Now FSS gives:-
===============================================
Farbar Service Scanner
Ran by Clive (administrator) on 30-12-2011 at 18:39:28
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 3 (X86)
Boot Mode: Normal

Internet Services:
============

Connection Status:
==============
Localhost is accessible.
There is no connection to network.
Attempt to access Google IP returned error: Google IP is unreachable
Attempt to access Yahoo IP returend error: Yahoo IP is unreachable
=================================================
So it's not complaining about being unable to open the registry key NetBt anymore - though it still isn't connecting to the internet. However, maybe if I do my tricks with unplugging the router and cable modem it might fetch an IP address and work OK ( when my wife doesn't need the internet for her real estate transactions going on now).
Any other thoughts?
Best regards
Clive

more_horiz
Hi Dave
Well the good news is that, when I uninstalled and reinstalled my Ethernet adapter, I could then talk to the web. (The Device Manager previously indicated all was well with the Ethernet adapter but I thought I should do the uninstall/reinstall to make sure and - voila!)
So now the question is "in what order would you suggest I should run SAS and MBAM and whatever else to ensure (as far as possible) that I can use financial software like Quicken safely?"
Thanks again so much for your help.
Is there a useful tutorial on all this stuff?
Best regards
Clive

more_horiz
So now the question is "in what order would you suggest I should run SAS and MBAM

It really doesn't matter.
Is there a useful tutorial on all this stuff?

You might be able to find something by googling.

I'd like to scan your machine with ESET OnlineScan

•Hold down Control and click on the following link to open ESET OnlineScan in a new window.
ESET OnlineScan
•Click the Tidserv Activity 2 - Page 2 EsetOnline button.
•For alternate browsers only: (Microsoft Internet Explorer users can skip these steps)

• Click on Tidserv Activity 2 - Page 2 EsetSmartInstall to download the ESET Smart Installer. Save it to your desktop.
  • Double click on the Tidserv Activity 2 - Page 2 EsetSmartInstallDesktopIcon-1 icon on your desktop.

•Check Tidserv Activity 2 - Page 2 EsetAcceptTerms
•Click the Tidserv Activity 2 - Page 2 EsetStart button.
•Accept any security warnings from your browser.
•Check Tidserv Activity 2 - Page 2 EsetScanArchives
•Push the Start button.
•ESET will then download updates for itself, install itself, and begin scanning your computer. Please be patient as this can take some time.
•When the scan completes, push Tidserv Activity 2 - Page 2 EsetListThreats
•Push Tidserv Activity 2 - Page 2 EsetExport, and save the file to your desktop using a unique name, such as ESETScan. Include the contents of this report in your next reply.
•Push the Tidserv Activity 2 - Page 2 EsetBack button.
•Push Tidserv Activity 2 - Page 2 EsetFinish
A log file will be saved here: C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET Online Scanner\log.txt

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum