WiredWX Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

descriptionFirewall Blocks Wireless Internet EmptyFirewall Blocks Wireless Internet

more_horiz
Hey,

I already had a net-book and a desktop that both run wireless network on windows 7 no problem but I bought an HP Presario CQ56 Notebook PC (laptop) and I found that it will connect to my network (at home) but in 'limited' access which means I don't see squat. It only works when I disconnect, disable the firewall and then reconnect. I think it might be that I created a 'home' network as opposed to 'public' on that one cause it was for me mum and she doesn't leave the house with the comp but otherwise I don't know how to reverse that or what else to do. I would appreciate this since she's moving and I can't go to her house and do the steps every time she wants to go online pls help!

descriptionFirewall Blocks Wireless Internet EmptyRe: Firewall Blocks Wireless Internet

more_horiz
Normally when Windows Vista (and probably Windows 7) is asked to connect to a wireless network, it will ask you if the wireless network is 'Public' or 'Home'. Home is the option you want.

The firewall shouldn't be blocking the connection. Try going to Control Panel > Network and Sharing Center and click on Manage wireless networks in the left-hand pane. Right-click on your wireless network and select Remove network. Click Yes to confirm.

Once the network is removed, try connecting again. (Before connecting, make sure your Windows firewall is ON so that it will learn the new network). While still in the Network and Sharing Center, click on Connect to a network. Your wirless network should be displayed in the bottom right. Click on it to connect.

Note: From the Network and Sharing Control Panel, you can view your active network and click on it to change from Home network to Public to see if that makes a difference.

descriptionFirewall Blocks Wireless Internet EmptyRe: Firewall Blocks Wireless Internet

more_horiz
Thank you I'm real sorry I haven't had a chance to do this yet but the fix looks like it's what I need I will let you know how it goes when I try it again thank you for the help

more_horiz
Hey listen it worked out well thank you very very, very much

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum