WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather Tools
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

descriptionAny way to increase size of primary partition EmptyAny way to increase size of primary partition

more_horiz
Is it possible to increase the size of a primary partition without reformatting and starting over? I would like to not have to reinstall the OS and programs there. When I divided the hard drive, I thought I had left enough room on C: but it is almost full. The D:partition (meant to be for storage and some program installation which shows up as a logical drive) has the space available. I used GParted to 'shrink' D: and now have 20Gig of unallocated space (between C: and D: )to use to increase the size of C:. It will not allow me to put that space onto the C: partition, I assume because it is a primary and the 20 Gig is in the 'logical' portion. I also get a warning symbol and a message that says 'Unable to read contents of file system. Some operations may be unavailable.' Should I have used something other than the defaults when booting GParted?
I also tried using the free version of Partition Manager and didn't have any luck with that (or I didn't know how to get it to work Annoyed or Unimpress )
Both partitions are FAT32. Would it be of any help to change them to NTFS?
I did the chkdsk both /f and /r which some suggested would fix it. That didn't help.
Thanks for any help.

descriptionAny way to increase size of primary partition EmptyRe: Any way to increase size of primary partition

more_horiz
Hi,
First you have to know - C: partition (Your WINDOWS is probably on it) MUST ALWAYS have 10 Gb free!

NTFS are better for C: partition, so if you know how(you can find a lot of tutorials on Google) to change from FAT32 to NTFS do it. It's much better than FAT32 and faster.

Yes, you can transfer some free space from D: to C: with Partition Magic, it's probably one of the best Partition Manager i ever had. Also, you can find a lot of tutorials on internet how to use it.

And no, you'll not lose your files&folers from D: ONLY if you transfer free space, i mean if you have 10 gb free, don't transfer 15 gb coz you'll lost something.

............................................................................................

Any way to increase size of primary partition V45u80

descriptionAny way to increase size of primary partition EmptyPartition size increased

more_horiz
I was able to increase the size of the C: partition using EASEUS Partition Master Home Edition. It did exactly what I wanted it to do with very little problem since I already had the unallocated area available. It didn't seem to mind that one was a primary partition and the other was logical. I'm going to reboot the machine a few more times to make sure all is well. The programs that I've opened thus far seem to be working correctly.
I will probably go ahead and try to change the file system if it won't affect the programs and files that are already on there.
Thanks

descriptionAny way to increase size of primary partition EmptyRe: Any way to increase size of primary partition

more_horiz
That sounds fine. Hm.. I changed mine from FAT to NTFS with Partition Magic, and i didn't lose anything Wink

............................................................................................

Any way to increase size of primary partition V45u80

more_horiz
It is always safer to back up your data in case anything goes wrong.

Please be a GeekPolice fan on Facebook!

Any way to increase size of primary partition Lambo-11

Have we helped you? Help us! | Doctor by day, ninja by night.

descriptionAny way to increase size of primary partition EmptyData Back up

more_horiz
Thanks. I have done a backup of most of the C drive. Hope this goes smoothly.

descriptionAny way to increase size of primary partition EmptyThanks

more_horiz
Thanks for the help with this. Was able get the partition increased Just need to install some more memory to help speed things up a little.

more_horiz
Thanks for informing us. Smile...

Please be a GeekPolice fan on Facebook!

Any way to increase size of primary partition Lambo-11

Have we helped you? Help us! | Doctor by day, ninja by night.

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum