WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather Tools
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

descriptionchoosing programming language Emptychoosing programming language

more_horiz
good day

I just wonder what kind of programming language I should take to learn as profesional and according to what , I need advices in details please.

regards

descriptionchoosing programming language EmptyRe: choosing programming language

more_horiz
This is a question that I get asked all the time, but unfortunately there is no right or wrong answer. The only rule of thumb truly is that the first one is the hardest because you not only need to learn the syntax of the language but you also need to learn about computer theory, logic and the like. But once you have learned your first language subsequent languages are much easier to pick up.

As a personal opinion, I would recommend one of the C-style languages such as C++, C# or Java as a good first language (I started with Java personally). The C-style languages are a good place to start because so many of the modern languages are based on C, so their syntax will be relatively easy to pick up if you have learned one of them already.

Hope this helps, but unfortunately as I said there is no right or wrong place to start. Just dive in, do some beginner tutorials and read up on your theory, and try it for yourself and see what you enjoy. Good luck!

............................................................................................

There are no stupid questions, only those too stupid to ask for help.

more_horiz
If you have the time and resources, I'd recommend taking a beginner course or two of C++ and then migrating to C# or Java afterwards. Learning some C++ first gives you great fundamentals and a good look at what's going on "under the hood" with some of the more commonly used managed languages. C# is probably among the most marketable in the enterprise space these days.

more_horiz
for starters i would suggest starting with java, its one of the simpler ones to use and if you choose to its a relatively smooth and easy transition to C or C++ witch offer more advance options. this is what i did i went from java to c++ and didn't have any major problems there is just a few syntax differences.

more_horiz
Here is a link at Microsoft for Visual Studio I would suggest u start here!

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vbasic/default.aspx

............................................................................................

MiKeY

MCITP MCSE CompTia A+ Server+ Security+

more_horiz
If you want the real power, C is the way to go. JAVA is good, but it is the higher level language. Either way, like in the previous responses, there is no right or wrong and once you learn one (at least how object oriented programing works) you will have a pretty good idea how to approach the next one Smile... Hope it helps!

more_horiz
I would definitely recommend learning C and then stepping up to C++ for the object oriented methodologies. Learning C will force you to understand something about data types and structures that might be transparent in higher level languages. Also, once you have a working knowledge of the C and/or C++ language learning other languages will be esier. Don't start with a visual approach and try to stay away from advanced IDEs (as suggested by makxp77) in the beginning as that will force you to understand some details about compiling and linking that the IDE will do for you and deprive you of that understanding. Whatever you do *don't* choose BASIC as your start language even though it may look tempting at first glance. The initial learning curve is easy for BASIC but once you get a little further in it gets steep fast.

Good luck and welcome to the world of programming. It's like LEGO building blocks for grownups and it's hours upon hours of fun (and frustration but that comes with the trade :lol2: )

Kind Regards,
George

more_horiz
I agree with GeorgeDorn. Do not pick IDE's that do all the back-end work for you and just make you do the front-end visual stuff, as that is not learning the language but just learning how to use the IDE. I recommend C++/Java because they are the industry standard for applications and game programming when you get good enough Big Grin

Glad to see that more people are trying out programming instead of being one of the usual people and saying its too hard and anyone who can do it is a nerd.

more_horiz
Yeah C++ all the way and then Java and C# will be a breeze. Make sure you get Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 compiler.

more_horiz
I'd recommend *not* getting the Microsoft Visual C++ compiler. (Or DevStudio or whatever it's called these days.). I know that the Microsoft tools can be used from the command-line but they don't offer that functionality out of the box. Try to find an exclusively CLI-driven compiler and linker to start with so you get an idea of the compiling and linking process. In fact, try looking at the assembler intermediate compile so you get a feeling for what the tools do to your code. If you're on Linux the CLI interface presents itself but on Windows you'll have to look for one. Maybe someone can suggest a CLI-driven compiler and linker on the WIN32 platform?

Regards,
George

more_horiz
Personally, I would start with VB.NET(Visual Basic)for a beginners idea on programming. Then move up to C++ then C#(C# creates habits not good for C++)

http://www.microsoft.com/express/Windows/

You can also download tutorials to help you get started.

http://www.microsoft.com/express/Resources/

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum