WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather Tools
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

descriptionSony VAIO - Fresh Vista Ultimate Install EmptySony VAIO - Fresh Vista Ultimate Install

more_horiz
Hey everyone!! I just got back my Sony Vaio VGN-SZ650N from Best Buy. The hard drive was replaced under warranty, but now I have a problem:

It didnt come with a recovery CD, so instead I decided to install Vista Ultimate on it myself since us students get good discounts on Microsoft software at my university.

I didn't realize what a pain it is to do a plain Windows install on a non home-built computer (laptop).

My main problem that is driving me CRAZY is that I can't install video card drivers!! In the device manager it says, under "Other Devices": "Video Controller (VGA Compatible)". I went to Sony's support site and tracked down the software/drivers for my specific model, but the drivers simply do not work.

Mind you, the machine itself came with Vista Business, but I'm not sure that is such an issue.

So, when I try installing the drivers, I get an error saying "This update can run only on Microsoft Vista." Talk about driving me crazy!

If I install the video drivers straight from NVIDIA's site, it gives me this error:

"Setup detected that the operating system in use is not Windows Vista [32-bit]/Windows 7 [32-bit]. This setup program and its associated drivers are designed to run only on Windows Vista [32-bit]/Windows 7 [32-bit]. The installation will be terminated."

FINALLY, I also tried installing "raw" drivers from a third party for my video card, which were NVIDIA drivers, and the error I got from that attempt said "The NVIDIA Setup program could not locate any drivers that are compatible with your current hardware."

Thoughts??

Oh and I believe these computers come equipped with NVIDIA 8400m cards.

Thank you for reading through all of that!!!!

descriptionSony VAIO - Fresh Vista Ultimate Install EmptyRe: Sony VAIO - Fresh Vista Ultimate Install

more_horiz
Windows Vista 32bit driver for mobile graphic cards.
http://www.nvidia.com/object/geforce_notebook_winvista_185.85_whql.html

Try uninstalling your gma/chipset driver before installing.

............................................................................................

Sony VAIO - Fresh Vista Ultimate Install MysigROG365x140withmark

descriptionSony VAIO - Fresh Vista Ultimate Install EmptyRe: Sony VAIO - Fresh Vista Ultimate Install

more_horiz
Thank you for your response. Perhaps I wasn't clear. I have nothing whatsoever to uninstall. And, I've already attempted to install that very same driver, and it gave me the error I mentioned above.

more_horiz
I suppose Nvidia have this problem 2 years ago, go update to vista SP1, Nvidia hotfix are included the service pack 1.

............................................................................................

Sony VAIO - Fresh Vista Ultimate Install MysigROG365x140withmark

more_horiz
I have SP1 already - I don't this is going to work. Sad tearing

more_horiz
Hello,

1. You may need to reseat the card by taking it out and putting it back in.
2. Try another PCI slot.
3. The card might be defective.

If not, CUDA drivers can be found here: http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/forum/index.php?showforum=96

A Quickstart Guide for using a modded INF file is found here: http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=9243

Please be a GeekPolice fan on Facebook!

Sony VAIO - Fresh Vista Ultimate Install Lambo-11

Have we helped you? Help us! | Doctor by day, ninja by night.

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum