WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather Tools
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

descriptionBSOD but cannot boot safe mode - Dr. Web Live CD does not work EmptyBSOD but cannot boot safe mode - Dr. Web Live CD does not work

more_horiz
Received the Blue Screen with error. Tried rebooting in safe mode, last known configuration. Nothing worked. Downloaded Dr. Web LiveCd.iso on another computer and burned to cd and scanned but at a certain point, the laptop shut down and said it overheated. Tried again this morning, at a certain point shut down again. The program did find some suspicious and infected items, but do not know how to "cure" them if it shuts down. Not sure where to start or end. Also, since the Dr. Web shuts down, I cannot get an end result. I do remember a "possible infected with SCRIPT virus" popping up twice. in addition, two DAT and CAB files contained an error. Saw the OTL post but cannot really get into the computer without booting from a cd. Tried to get in using a Hiren's CD but really don't know what to do with it... Unfortunately do not have a recovery disk and need to make one if I can get the computer to even work. Any help is of course very appreciated.

descriptionBSOD but cannot boot safe mode - Dr. Web Live CD does not work EmptyRe: BSOD but cannot boot safe mode - Dr. Web Live CD does not work

more_horiz
Sorry I forgot to post the laptop's OS is Windows XP

descriptionBSOD but cannot boot safe mode - Dr. Web Live CD does not work EmptyRe: BSOD but cannot boot safe mode - Dr. Web Live CD does not work

more_horiz
Hello and welcome to GeekPolice.Net My name is Dave. I will be helping you out with your particular problem on your computer.

1. I will be working on your Malware issues. This may or may not solve other issues you have with your machine.
2. The fixes are specific to your problem and should only be used for this issue on this machine.
3. If you don't know or understand something, please don't hesitate to ask.
4. Please DO NOT run any other tools or scans while I am helping you.
5. It is important that you reply to this thread. Do not start a new topic.
6. Your security programs may give warnings for some of the tools I will ask you to use. Be assured, any links I give are safe.
7. Absence of symptoms does not mean that everything is clear.

If you can't access the internet with your infected computer you will have to download and transfer any programs to the computer you're using now and transfer them to the infected computer with a CD-RW or a USB storage device. I prefer a CD because a storage device can get infected. If you use a storage device hold the shift key down while inserting the USB storage device for about 10 secs. You will also have to transfer the logs you receive back to the good computer using the same method until we can get the computer back on-line.
BSOD's are usually caused by hardware problems and the fact that you said it's overheating is probably the cause for the BSOD's. We can try this to see if that's really what's causing the shutting down. You can create this disk and boot with the disk in. You must burn this ISO file with an ISO burner in order for it to work. If it actually is able to boot your computer that would rule out the heating problem. If not, you will need to find out why the overheating. Possibly a fan has stopped working.

We are going to be using a Windows Recovery Environment to help disinfect the system so it may boot again.

Download the OTLPE Standard REATOGO Windows Recovery Environment.

• Place a blank CD-R disc in to your CD burning drive.
  • Download OTLPEStd.exe and double-click on it to burn to a CD using an ISO Burner. One can be found here.
  • Reboot your system using the boot CD you just created.
  • Note : If you do not know how to set your computer to boot from CD follow the steps here
  • Your system should now display a REATOGO-X-PE desktop.
  • Double-click on the OTLPE icon.
  • When asked "Do you wish to load the remote registry", select Yes
  • When asked "Do you wish to load remote user profile(s) for scanning", select Yes
  • Ensure the box "Automatically Load All Remaining Users" is checked and press OK
  • OTL should now start. Change the following settings
  • Change Drivers to Non-Microsoft
  • Press Run Scan to start the scan.
  • When finished, the file will be saved in drive C:\_OTL\MovedFiles
  • Copy this file to your USB drive if you do not have internet connection on this system
  • Please post the contents of the OTL.txt file in your reply.

more_horiz
I am not having any luck burning the exe to a disc. Double click on it, then a dialog box comes up if I want to burn to a cd, I click yes, extracts, an image burn box comes up, then shuts down. I downloaded the trial iso burner but it continues to burn it as a exe. tried two others, not working. Not sure what I am doing wrong. please let me know what to do.. the support on the software site was not helpful either...

more_horiz
Ok. Let's try this: Save the OTLPE file on your desktop. Now start the ISO burner and browse to your desktop where the OTLPE file is and select it. Once that's done it's just a matter of burning the ISO.

more_horiz
Opened ISO burner and click the burn option but it continues to burn it as an application file... Not sure if it is because it is a trial version or just does not want to cooperate :sad:

more_horiz
Opened ISO burner and click the burn option but it continues to burn it as an application file... Not sure if it is because it is a trial version or just does not want to cooperate .

How do you know that it burns it as an application? Did you try booting your computer with the disk? I downloaded the file and double-clicked on it and it opened my image burner and burned it. It should work for you.

more_horiz
For some reason I cannot burn on my computer, I guess after I resolve this laptop, I will need to get my desktop together. Just used my other desktop to burn the iso, loaded the reatogo-x-pe, clicked on the OTLPE, after this I get a dialog box that says Browse Folder. When I click ok, another dialog box comes up that says Run Scanner that has a "No windows installations found" error message. I do not get: [i]" When asked [b]"Do you wish to load the remote registry", select Yes
# When asked "Do you wish to load remote user profile(s) for scanning", select Yes"

more_horiz
Not sure what to do now Indifferent or Blank

more_horiz
Not sure what to do now .

At this point it looks like your hard drive has gone belly up. You could try running a diagnostic on the drive if you know the maker of the drive. Again it requires you to make a disk which should run a test of the harddrive. If it doesn't run that means the harddrive is done.

Run hard drive diagnostics: tacktech.com
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: imgburn to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.
For Toshiba hard drives, see here:

Note : If you do not know how to set your computer to boot from CD follow the steps here

more_horiz
How do I know what brand of hard drive I have? It is a HP Pavilion dv2000. Maybe a Western Digital hard drive?

more_horiz
lachatnoir wrote:
How do I know what brand of hard drive I have? It is a HP Pavilion dv2000. Maybe a Western Digital hard drive?

The best way would be to open the back of the computer and look on the harddrive for the maker's name.

more_horiz
Thanks.

more_horiz
Thank you for your help, was my hard drive and had to take it in. Now I am going to have to post again because when I was trying to figure out what was wrong with my laptop, my desktop was "acting up".

more_horiz
lachatnoir wrote:
Thank you for your help, was my hard drive and had to take it in. Now I am going to have to post again because when I was trying to figure out what was wrong with my laptop, my desktop was "acting up".

You should start a new topic once you get your computer up and running again.

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum