WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather Tools
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

descriptionCan't Connect to the Internet, Please Help! EmptyCan't Connect to the Internet, Please Help!

more_horiz
Hello,

after being on the internet yesterday through my desktop pc without any warning the desktop would not connect to the internet through IE or Firefox. I have a cable internet connection. Interestingly, my laptop will connect to the internet through the wireless modem without any problems...that is how I am typing this right now.

I searched some threads here and followed the following advice: goto Start > Run > and type "cmd" in field and press Enter. (without "") When Command Prompt opens, type "ping www.google.com" and press Enter (without "").

My results were:

Pinging www.1.google.com [74.125.225.16] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from: 74.125.225.16: bytes = 32 time = 17ms TTL = 55
Reply from: 74.125.225.16: bytes = 32 time = 12ms TTL = 55
Reply from: 74.125.225.16: bytes = 32 time = 13ms TTL = 55
Reply from: 74.125.225.16: bytes = 32 time = 14ms TTL = 55

Ping statistics for 74.125.225.16:
Packets: Sent=4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% Loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 12ms, Maximum = 17ms, Average = 14ms

Please let me know what other ifo you need.

Thanks in Advance for your help.

descriptionCan't Connect to the Internet, Please Help! EmptyRe: Can't Connect to the Internet, Please Help!

more_horiz
Check to see if the proxy has been reset. Go to Tools > Internet Options > and look under the connections tab. Click on the LAN SETTINGS button. It should not have a check in proxy server of script settings. There should be no checks in there unless you have a reason to use a proxy server. Sometimes Automatically Detect is checked.

Anyway uncheck anything and restart IE.

You may have some malware on that machine.

descriptionCan't Connect to the Internet, Please Help! EmptyRe: Can't Connect to the Internet, Please Help!

more_horiz
Your instructions worked! I am able to connect now.

What should I do to check for malware?

more_horiz
Great to hear that it worked. The question remains as to what caused the proxy server to set set.

Best to have it checked out for malware on the Virus, Spyware & Removal forum here: http://www.GeekPolice.net/f11-virus-spyware-malware-removal

Please read this for instructions before posting:
http://www.GeekPolice.net/t3821-read-this-before-posting

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum