WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather Tools
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

descriptionDesktop icons and taskbar along bottom missing? EmptyDesktop icons and taskbar along bottom missing?

more_horiz
I have recently had a ms removal fake virus thing, which with your help I have got rid off. I then couldnt, no matter how hard i tried, restore MSE that i had previously. I decided to go out and purchase some new off the shelf protection "bullguard 9.0". I loaded it all succesfully and ran all the test for virus's etc etc. It found 6 infected files which were quaratined, i then deleted them from there. (hope this was ok)??
Then the first time i rebooted the laptop the desktop icons and toolbar along the bottom of the screen are gone. I can access them via ctrl alt delete task manager.
but i have to use a cable to connect to the internet as wireless doesnt work??

How can i get the icons back as before and taskbar along the bottom??

even in safe mode the same happens they are not displayed on the desktop, they are in a box that opens up separately in the screen.

I am running windows XP, on a DELL inspiron 6400 laptop.

Please help anyone !!!!!

descriptionDesktop icons and taskbar along bottom missing? EmptyRe: Desktop icons and taskbar along bottom missing?

more_horiz
Open the Task Manager via ctrl/alt/del. Go to the "Applications" tab, and press "New Task..."

In the open field, type in explorer.exe and hit the OK button.

Does your Desktop load now?

descriptionDesktop icons and taskbar along bottom missing? EmptyRe: Desktop icons and taskbar along bottom missing?

more_horiz
Belahzur wrote:
Open the Task Manager via ctrl/alt/del. Go to the "Applications" tab, and press "New Task..."

In the open field, type in explorer.exe and hit the OK button.

Does your Desktop load now?

when i type it in and OK, it says it can't find the file, however when I look in task manager new task,

C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe.exe this opens up my documents in its own screen, where I can access desktop, but its in its own box and not on the main screen and toolbar is obviously still missing.

I have tried the registry thing before with no joy, but any help you think will be greatly recieved.

more_horiz
Hmm, your explorer may be missing or damaged then.

We are going to be using a Windows Recovery Environment to help disinfect the system so it may boot again.

Download the OTLPE Standard REATOGO Windows Recovery Environment.

• Place a blank CD-R disc in to your CD burning drive.
  • Download OTLPEStd.exe and double-click on it to burn to a CD using ISO Burner.
  • Reboot your system using the boot CD you just created.

Note : If you do not know how to set your computer to boot from CD follow the steps here
  • Your system should now display a REATOGO-X-PE desktop.
  • Double-click on the OTLPE icon.
  • When asked "Do you wish to load the remote registry", select Yes
  • When asked "Do you wish to load remote user profile(s) for scanning", select Yes
  • Ensure the box "Automatically Load All Remaining Users" is checked and press OK
  • OTL should now start. Change the following settings

• Change Drivers to Non-Microsoft
  • Press Run Scan to start the scan.
  • When finished, the file will be saved in drive C:\_OTL\MovedFiles
  • Copy this file to your USB drive if you do not have internet connection on this system
  • Please post the contents of the OTL.txt file in your reply.

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum