WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather Tools
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

descriptionDual boot, two drives. EmptyDual boot, two drives.

more_horiz
Hi.

I have two drives with different operating systems on, I want to be able to choose which one I boot from, but I can not find any setting to change my primary hard drive, without messing around in windows, which defeats the object. Will I need to alter the boot file?

Regards

descriptionDual boot, two drives. EmptyRe: Dual boot, two drives.

more_horiz
Hi. Smile...

I think you should be able to press F12 and manually boot from the second.Smile...

more_horiz
You need to edit the Boot.ini. You can either have Windows automatically detect the drives, and just do a "rebuildbcd".

See here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392

Or, you can manually edit the boot.ini from within Windows.

more_horiz
Well, been a while..

But I now have Windows XP on one disk, and Windows 7 on another. I can now choose which one to boot.

The former is the larger disk, with a primary partition. When I boot XP, I can see the other disk, with the data on, etc.. But when I boot Windows 7, I can't see the other disk, which XP contains, plus most of the programs I wish to install on Windows 7.

In Bios, it can't detect a Primary master or slave disk, but it must be there, otherwise I wouldn't be able to load it, from the boot menu.

They are both SATA drives... If works one way, I'm perplexed as to why It doesn't work the other way round.

I hope I've explained this as clearly as possible. Any more information needed then do ask.

Regards

Dave

more_horiz
When you installed them did you install Windows XP first THEN windows 7?
This can cause issues with detecting the other drive (or so i hear as i have not had any issue similar to this)

more_horiz
Yes It was Windows XP for some time, only recently 7...!
Is there any easy way around this...apart from transfering it to an external drive?

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum