WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather Tools
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

descriptionNo post beep but boots up without a problem. EmptyNo post beep but boots up without a problem.

more_horiz
I just replaced the motherboard, processor, and memory in a computer. My first issue was the IDE cable was backwards. Had it like that in the last computer and everything worked so I didn't think anything of it. With that problem fixed, I was able to load windows. Everything works great and with no issues, but I don't get a POST beep. The motherboard speaker works good. I've tried both directions to see if I had it backwards. Still no beep. Is it something of concern? Or should I just ignore it? The motherboard is an ECS black edition. Processor is AMD Semporon 2.6 dual core. Memory is crucial 2x 1 gig. Thanks in advance for your help.

............................................................................................

Life is extremely short.... One VERY long day at a time. Can't Believe It

descriptionNo post beep but boots up without a problem. EmptyRe: No post beep but boots up without a problem.

more_horiz
I don't have beeps on my Post screen. It's not necessary, you don't have to worry about it.

............................................................................................

No post beep but boots up without a problem. V45u80

descriptionNo post beep but boots up without a problem. EmptyRe: No post beep but boots up without a problem.

more_horiz
Cool. Thanks Nazzgull. I was wondering that. I never had a computer that worked 100% give no beep on start up before. Everyone I have built had the beep. That was my confirmation that I did it right! Do you know if it's a feature with that particular motherboard of just with that specific bios? I have never used an ECS board before so I have nothing to compare it to.

One other question. Have you ever used the paper washers during a build. I purchased a new kit with standoffs and screws. This one came with these paper washers. I tried to put them on the standoffs before placing the motherboard on but couldn't get them to stay put. If I was supposed to use them, where do they go and do you have any tricks?

more_horiz
Hehe, you don't have to worry about that, check this link :
http://hubpages.com/hub/How-to-Disable-Motherboard-Beep
http://bubble.ro/How_can_I_turn_off_system_beeps.html

Maybe you turn them off ;) Or you didn't set connector on motherboard property, try to turn them. I think that's for various motherboard. I have Gigabyte H55M-S2H and i don't have beeps.

For 2nd question, can you show me picture of that ? I don't get what "paper washers" is..

more_horiz
No post beep but boots up without a problem. 80011

If I did it right, here's the pic. Never put a pic in a forum before. I put a couple standoffs and screws in there to give you scale. It said to use with the motherboard because the only grounding for the board should be through the power supply. I was under the impression that the screws for the board are isolated so it shouldn't be an issue even without the paper washers. Never used them before. Not sure if it was a new thing to watch for with new boards.

Thanks for you help with this. Right now, I think I know enough to get into trouble when I shouldn't, but not enough to get out of trouble without help! Ha ha. Please let me know if I should try to put these paper washers in. It would be a pain but worth it in the end if it means motherboard longevity.

more_horiz
Oh. Forgot to mention, the beep value is "yes". So it should be making a beep sound for the start up POST beep.

more_horiz
Oh, that. You can use it if you like. Just put it on screw and attach the motherboard to the case of computer with him. Nothing special, use the screw with it if you don't want to damage the surface of the motherboard. You can do it without it, because the copper around the hole for screw, is isolated from motherboard. Your choice.

Maybe you reverse the speaker cables, just change sides and try again. Anyway, it's nothing bad if you don't hear beeps.

more_horiz
So they don't need to go between the standoffs and the motherboard AND between the screw and the motherboard. I was under the impression that it had to be sandwiched between them. Cool. I swapped the speaker cables around and it still gave me no beep. I unplugged all components, reseated the memory, reseated the processor, then turned it on and STILL no beep. Since everything is working without a problem, I am not going to worry about it, but it is one of those things that will always worry me. The only way I knew something was wrong with computers past is the beep. This beep sequence meant that the memory was bad or unseated, another meant bad processor... etc.. But, I will try to not think about it to much and send it on it's way come xmas. Thank you again for your help Nazzgull.
Please consider this problem fixed. If anything comes up later I will start a new thread. Thank You!

more_horiz
No problem Smile... Glad i could help! Can't mark topic as Solved but i'll leave message for moderators Wink

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum