WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather Tools
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

descriptionQuestion about tracking cookies EmptyQuestion about tracking cookies

more_horiz
Hi everyone, I just recently purchased a brand new computer and promptly installed Avast, MBAM, & Superantispyware, in addition to getting the Web of Trust add-on for Firefox. I just have a quick question about tracking cookies.

I have not been to any suspicious sites but I have run SuperAntiSpyware a few times, each time after updating, and it usually detects a handful of tracking cookies. Do these come from pop-up ads and things of that nature?

Is this normal or cause for concern? SuperAntiSpyware gives them a 1/10 threat level, but if I could avoid having unnecessary crap that'd be great. Should I use Ad-Block as well? Do you recommend something other than SuperAntiSpyware?

Thanks! Sorry for the million questions. After my nightmares with my last comp over the last year, I am tryign to be as prepared as I can. Hopefully you won't see me in the Malware Removal section ever again.

descriptionQuestion about tracking cookies EmptyRe: Question about tracking cookies

more_horiz
Hello,

Almost every website uses cookies these days, sometimes to improve a user's browsing experience, sometimes to keep you from logging out of a site automatically and sometimes to track how you navigate the site.

If they come from trusted sites, then they should be safe. We also use cookies to keep users logged into the forum and to track their visits. Nothing more. A 1/10 rating shouldn't be able to do any harm.

Yes, get Adblock Plus, it's awesome. SuperAntiSpyware and Malwarebytes is a good combination.

Have a read here too:

Preventing malware, and being resistant to the dangers of the Internet

Practice safe-surfing and try to stay away from p2p and adult sites, your computer should be safe.

............................................................................................

Please be a GeekPolice fan on Facebook!

Question about tracking cookies Lambo-11

Have we helped you? Help us! | Doctor by day, ninja by night.

descriptionQuestion about tracking cookies EmptyRe: Question about tracking cookies

more_horiz
Alright, that sounds good. I know that cookies can be helpful & necessary, I was just a little shocked to run a scan after having a computer for one day and already having things detected. Using Ad-Block Plus now.

Thanks for the quick response.

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum