WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather Tools
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

descriptionMeet the 12 Lucky Browsers European IE Users Will Be Shown Next Year EmptyMeet the 12 Lucky Browsers European IE Users Will Be Shown Next Year

more_horiz
As part of the European Union's antitrust agreement with Microsoft, the company will be required next year to show a list of alternatives to Internet Explorer to any Windows user with IE installed as their default browser.
Skip to next paragraph

Love or hate the government intervention, it's notable to see which browsers are about to get a big boost in user numbers. The EU says increased viability in the browser market will lead to more competition and more innovation. Here are the companies that will get a first crack at new levels of market viability in Europe.

On the Front Page - The Best Known 5

The first page of the Choice Screen, which users will be presented with when they first turn on their computers or when they click a link for it later, will feature whichever five browsers have the largest market share over the previous 6 months. Microsoft will begin showing the page to users in March, 2010.

Right now the top 5 will include, in the order listed on an EU page about the program:

* Apple Safari - that's right, even for Windows!

* Google Chrome - so soon. If Chrome can grow so fast, it makes you wonder if government intervention is really needed. Of course, Chrome has been promoted prominently on Google pages. That could become part of the next antitrust issue.

* Microsoft Internet Explorer - gets better all the time, even with dominant market share. Couldn't the EU just require people to stop using IE 6?

* Mozilla Firefox - the classic that's most effectively challenged IE. In fact, it's done so pretty effectively. Too bad Chrome now runs circles around its performance.

* Opera - loved by mobile users, loved by Europeans.

More: http://www.nytimes.com/external/readwriteweb/2009/12/21/21readwriteweb-meet-the-12-lucky-browsers-european-ie-user-95997.html

............................................................................................

Please be a GeekPolice fan on Facebook!

Meet the 12 Lucky Browsers European IE Users Will Be Shown Next Year Lambo-11

Have we helped you? Help us! | Doctor by day, ninja by night.

descriptionMeet the 12 Lucky Browsers European IE Users Will Be Shown Next Year EmptyRe: Meet the 12 Lucky Browsers European IE Users Will Be Shown Next Year

more_horiz
As part of the European Union's antitrust agreement with Microsoft, the company will be required next year to show a list of alternatives to Internet Explorer to any Windows user with IE installed as their default browser.

That is adding salt to an open wound wouldn't you say? Open Grin

............................................................................................

Site Admin / Security Administrator

Virus Removal ~ OS Support ~ Have we helped you? Help us! ~ GeekChat
- Please PM me if I fail to respond within 24hrs.
Meet the 12 Lucky Browsers European IE Users Will Be Shown Next Year DXwU4
Meet the 12 Lucky Browsers European IE Users Will Be Shown Next Year VvYDg

descriptionMeet the 12 Lucky Browsers European IE Users Will Be Shown Next Year EmptyRe: Meet the 12 Lucky Browsers European IE Users Will Be Shown Next Year

more_horiz
I'm glad this is happening. IE has lousy support for CSS and Javascript, giving webmasters and web developers a hard time to make sites compatible for it.

I so love this site: http://ie7.com/

Please be a GeekPolice fan on Facebook!

Meet the 12 Lucky Browsers European IE Users Will Be Shown Next Year Lambo-11

Have we helped you? Help us! | Doctor by day, ninja by night.

more_horiz
I agree, but I can just see Microsoft choking on every word they say.

"We rr...rrrecommend Firefox because....cause....it's just so much better than IE (hangs head in shame)" LMBO or ROFL

Site Admin / Security Administrator

Virus Removal ~ OS Support ~ Have we helped you? Help us! ~ GeekChat
- Please PM me if I fail to respond within 24hrs.
Meet the 12 Lucky Browsers European IE Users Will Be Shown Next Year DXwU4
Meet the 12 Lucky Browsers European IE Users Will Be Shown Next Year VvYDg

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum