WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather Tools
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

descriptionQuestion about Windows XP EmptyQuestion about Windows XP

more_horiz
I remember seeing a thread in the Tech news forum about Mircosoft stopping support and what not for Windows XP in a few months or a year(can't remember, so don't quote me on it).

I'm wanting to know will they stop security updates, etc? I am ordering a custom computer and it's loaded with Vista, witch I don't like. So I want to put on Windows XP but I just need to have this answered. Smile...

descriptionQuestion about Windows XP EmptyRe: Question about Windows XP

more_horiz
Hello,

The Extended Support period will be until 8 April 2014, Only critical security updates will be provided unpaid. Non-security related hotfixes require Extended Hotfix Support Agreement to be purchased through 14 July 2009.

I feel it will be a long more way to go given the popularity XP has, even if Microsoft were to set a day for discontinued support in 2014, they will extend it after users complain, just like how they said they will stop selling XP.

You can read more here:

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/159151/windows_xps_days_are_really_numbered_now.html

............................................................................................

Please be a GeekPolice fan on Facebook!

Question about Windows XP Lambo-11

Have we helped you? Help us! | Doctor by day, ninja by night.

more_horiz
So I guess I'm getting it then. Smile...

Also, one more tiny thing. Windows XP home edition can only recognize 4 gigs of RAM, right? Or is it more like 2 or 3 gigs of RAM?

more_horiz
The 32 bit version of Windows 7 supports up to about 3 to 3.5 GB of RAM. If you want more that that, go for a 64 bit OS.

............................................................................................

more_horiz
sorry for replying into this thread,, hehehehehe!!
Cheesy Grin (sparkly

just wanted to ask this one thing.
my motherboards' max ram is 2gb, if i use a 64bit os, win7 or even xp64 bit, cud i put 2 2gb's of ram on each slot. Yikes Yikes

more_horiz
No you can't. If your motherboard support up to 2GB, then it will only read up to 2GB. Nothing happens if you add more RAM even if you're using a 64bit OS.

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum