WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather Tools
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

descriptionComputer rebooting itself EmptyComputer rebooting itself

more_horiz
One problem solved....another one perspires....

Well my system keeps rebooting itself.... In this instance it is happening when i am transfering files from one drive to another..... or sometime windows explorer crashes before it gets the chance.

It also reboots in the middle of a virus scan using symantec coporate..... I have disabled all the non micorsoft shells...and still happens....
i did think it might be one of my externals , cause it did a check disk on every reboot, but i unplugged this drive and the same happened....

I have borrowed my friends external to back some stuff onto, and it came cleanly formatted..It's a buffalo model. This wouldn't be causing any conflict for some bizarre reason would it....?

I also check if the computer was over heating, but this is not the case either...
The last scan 3 days ago showed no problems, and I did a full scan using symantec, super anti-spyware an mwab...

So sorry for all the bother, I just can't see why this has started happening.

Regards
Dave

descriptionComputer rebooting itself EmptyRe: Computer rebooting itself

more_horiz
Is it Blue screening with a stop error code?

Disable 'restart automatically' and post the info on the code!

Also, enable memory dump log creation and save them to a newly created folder if your able.

Regards

more_horiz
Well thankfully there is no blue screen of death...
I have changed the location for the dump log in the registry, and will post on my next log if there's still the need.

The active desktop recovery starts every time on the reboot though, if that's of any use. It didn't do for the first 5 times.....

Regards

Dave

more_horiz
Right, well I have had the reboots again, but no log has been left in the folder i created for the memory dump... I emptied and defragged the drive which I tought was creating the problems, and it has not happened since.... well yet to this date...I will keep watch.

Edit: I have removed symantec.... Again twice today, I have had the problem again... Again no log has been left in the dump folder I created. This time my computer was static when the reboot happened...

Regards

Last edited by Voods on 10th February 2009, 1:12 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Changes Made)

more_horiz
You checked the boxes didnt you?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307973

more_horiz
Hi.

Yes I have those options enabled.

I installed ZoneAlarm Secruity Suite, and I am currently using it as my Virus scanner too. It did vind a virus called "expiorer.exe"

After removing this, I haven't yet had the problem. So whether it was this that was casuing the problem I don't know. Again, I will keep watch.

Regards

more_horiz
Hello.
Don't know if this is the virus in question, but a quick Google search gives me this:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/EXPIORER.EXE-13529.html

I would advice you to change any passwords.

............................................................................................

Site Admin / Security Administrator

Virus Removal ~ OS Support ~ Have we helped you? Help us! ~ GeekChat
- Please PM me if I fail to respond within 24hrs.
Computer rebooting itself DXwU4
Computer rebooting itself VvYDg

more_horiz
Yes that is the one. Nasty piece of work, suprised my e-mails haven't been already hacked. I'm heard it spies on your msn conversations too.

I am using the keyScrabmbler add-on for fire fox too now, as well as the encryptor in ZoneAlarm. Can't b too carefull. I bet they can be decrypted if someone relly want's too...

I don't know how it got there, it was recent, certainly missed the runt.

Regards

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum