WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather Tools
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

descriptionStuck in a reboot loop. All kinds of problems! EmptyStuck in a reboot loop. All kinds of problems!

more_horiz
Ok, I'll start by saying I know just enough about computers to be dangerous...to myself. I am posting from my iphone due to being unable to get out of a constant reboot loop.

It started last night with constant popups and progressed to taking over my background
with a MSG that I had spyware and to download some prgram. It blocked any running of spybot or McAffee. Ewido found nothing. I also kept getting a " floating point" error MSG that would "float" over my Spybot panel that could not be removed from over the button needed to start the spybot.

Eventually, I had fiddled with it enough by trying to enter into
safe mode that it would not let me into it and eventually went into a loop
from the screen asking which "safe mode" I wanted to a reboot that led back to the safe mode options. This will rest over and over by itself and is where I am now.

Also, before the loop, I could not go back to a restore point. It showed NONE for Jan and would not let me look back at past months.

Luckily, I think, most all my movies, vids, music, and pics were on my D and E drive which are on a seperate HDD. I am hoping that that drive is unaffected and not the source of the issue. All I really want from the remaing drive are the pics from my wires user account on her desktop folder and to copy my favorites from my firefox (if one can, not sure how), other tan that I would be fine wiping the slate clean and starting over.

BTW, I am using XP Pro with SP2.

Thanks!

descriptionStuck in a reboot loop. All kinds of problems! EmptyRe: Stuck in a reboot loop. All kinds of problems!

more_horiz
Most likely cause id the tdss rootkit.

If we can't use tools, then the machine is pretty much done for without an XP disc, if we need to do a repair install.
Can you try last known good configuration?

descriptionStuck in a reboot loop. All kinds of problems! EmptyRe: Stuck in a reboot loop. All kinds of problems!

more_horiz
Nope, can't even do that. I was told to rename the boot.ini file to boot.ini.bak so I can get back into the OS. Tried to rename the file after booting from my XP disc but I seem not to be getting theline right. I am getting "The rename operation failed".

more_horiz
Who told you that?
You should never edit or change boot.ini, doing so will cause serious damage.

Boot from the disc again, try a repair install.

more_horiz
Belahzur wrote:
Who told you that?
You should never edit or change boot.ini, doing so will cause serious damage.

Boot from the disc again, try a repair install.

It was in a tutorial on anther site.It then told how to undo the change.

more_horiz
If I should not do it, what should I type at the C prompt?

more_horiz
Type this:

X:\i386\winnt32.exe /cmdcons

**Note**
Replace X with your CD drive letter, and there is a space between the exe and /

more_horiz
Ummm.. How do I change the prompt? It's been about 15 years since
I worked with DOS...

more_horiz
Hold, is this just a disc that has a bootable image on it, or a disc we can use to repair or format?

more_horiz
It is my OEM XP disc I got my college years ago.

more_horiz
Darn.
It's not the right kind of disc, OEM doesn't come with repair option.

Unless you can get your hands on a proper install disc for XP (has to be exact, so you'll need XP SP2 disc)

Nothing we can do to help if last known good won't work.

more_horiz
My disc has the repair option. I meant OEM as in it is an original microsoft disc with product key

more_horiz
Ah, then we may be able to do a repair install, see this guide on how to do it.
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

more_horiz
Since this issue has been addressed, a "solved" tag will be added and this topic will be closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter.

Everyone else, please open a new topic for your questions.

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum