WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather Tools
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

descriptionRandom shut down EmptyRandom shut down

more_horiz
One of my mates who is just learning the computer has an old windows 2000 computer. He hasn't used it in a while but today when he turned it on, it started normally. Got to the login screen, typed his password, it logged on. He was just going to click the start button when it came up "windows is shutting down" It then proceeded to turn off like I had selected to turn it off, but i havn't. It happens every time you turn the computer on. I started in safe mode and that works fine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a ton.

PS: Sorry if this is the wrong section.

descriptionRandom shut down EmptyRe: Random shut down

more_horiz
If you can boot in safe mode then its not a hardware issue........software related.

Moved from hardware!

more_horiz
A few things can cause this... it might be 20 of the below.

-Malware
-heat

Boot into safe mode and see how long it can stay there if it can stay there for longer than the normal boot up time it shouldn't be a problem with the heat. If you can boot into safe mode, try a system restore.

To check for malware please post your questions in the malware removal forum to check if your system is clean.

............................................................................................

Please be a GeekPolice fan on Facebook!

Random shut down Lambo-11

Have we helped you? Help us! | Doctor by day, ninja by night.

more_horiz
If he got the 60 seconds then shut down box, chances are it's malware.
If you get it again, do this quickly.

Start > Run
Type in:
shutdown -a
Press enter.

............................................................................................

Site Admin / Security Administrator

Virus Removal ~ OS Support ~ Have we helped you? Help us! ~ GeekChat
- Please PM me if I fail to respond within 24hrs.
Random shut down DXwU4
Random shut down VvYDg

more_horiz
This is probably some kind of malware..

Random shut down V45u80

more_horiz
Thanks for your support, I don't think its malware as the computer has never had an internet connection for years. And the problem only just started. I'll try a system restore, though not sure it will do much. And I had left it in safe mode for about an hour and no shut down. So I don't think its heat.

more_horiz
Added any new software from disc lately before the issue occurred?

Connected any of your friends USB flash drive's?

Any new hardware editions?

Can you think back to anything you may have done, including OS commands, before you started getting the problem!

If you cant restore or repair install, we could initiate some debugging if you like.........Backing up your data in safe mode and formatting with a clean install of XP SP2 would be my choice.

Regards

more_horiz
No new hardware additions It just randomly started happening. I cant reformat as I don't have the windows disks. Its windows 2000.

more_horiz
Hello.
Please post a Hijack This log to be sure. 😉

http://www.geekpolice.net/malware-removal-hijackthis-logs-f11/read-this-before-posting-t3821.htm

Random shut down DXwU4
Random shut down VvYDg

more_horiz
Here's the log:
Note that i did this through safe mode.

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 1:53:32 p.m., on 2/01/2009
Platform: Windows 2000 SP4 (WinNT 5.00.2195)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)
Boot mode: Safe mode with network support

Running processes:
C:\WINNT\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\services.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\WBEM\WinMgmt.exe
C:\WINNT\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Jacob Vaughan\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\89ABUVEX\hijackgpthis[1].exe

O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.ocx
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {243B17DE-77C7-46BF-B94B-0B5F309A0E64} - C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money\System\mnyside.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {FDD3B846-8D59-4ffb-8758-209B6AD74ACC} - (no file)
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINNT\System32\msdxm.ocx
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Synchronization Manager] mobsync.exe /logon
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadQM] loadqm.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SchedulingAgent] mstinit.exe /firstlogon
O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\RunOnce: [^SetupICWDesktop] C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Connection Wizard\icwconn1.exe /desktop (User 'Default user')
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE
O9 - Extra button: MoneySide - {E023F504-0C5A-4750-A1E7-A9046DEA8A21} - C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money\System\mnyside.dll
O12 - Plugin for .pdf: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\PLUGINS\nppdf32.dll
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O16 - DPF: {41F17733-B041-4099-A042-B518BB6A408C} - http://a1540.g.akamai.net/7/1540/52/20030530/qtinstall.info.apple.com/bonnie/us/win/QuickTimeInstaller.exe
O16 - DPF: {56336BCB-3D8A-11D6-A00B-0050DA18DE71} (RdxIE Class) - http://207.188.7.150/08df498a980c4f88f022/netzip/RdxIE601.cab
O23 - Service: Logical Disk Manager Administrative Service (dmadmin) - VERITAS Software Corp. - C:\WINNT\System32\dmadmin.exe

--
End of file - 2383 bytes

more_horiz
Looks good, don't think it's malware.

Random shut down DXwU4
Random shut down VvYDg

more_horiz
Okay thanks. So what else could it be?

more_horiz
grasshoper wrote:
No new hardware additions It just randomly started happening. I cant reformat as I don't have the windows disks. Its windows 2000.

I know it's 2k, but that went out with flared pants!

If your system will run 2000, it will run xp which would be the wiser choice if your planning a network connection....that's all im saying!

If you dont have an install disc, there's not much you can do to rectify the situation without spending many hours of blood, sweat and tears in debugging and registry troubleshooting.

They should be just about giving away XP these days shouldn't they?

If you need some help, let me know!

Regards

more_horiz
Okay, are you sure xp will work? I checked the specs and there's a 5 gig hard drive and just under 100mb of ram... Will XP really work on it with those specs?

Anyway, its really old so probably won't bother. Nothing else it could be? or anything else I could try?

more_horiz
what psu?

more_horiz
coreyw wrote:
what psu?

That thought crossed my mind along with RAM modules and other hardware possibilities, however as grasshoper says, the system ran cleanly in safe mode for an hour or more!

This tells me that its got to be a faulty driver or other corrupt 'third party' system file (shell extention) that loads automatically on start up.

grasshoper wrote:
Will XP really work on it with those specs?

It will, but it will most likely run like a snail on Prozac, so lets stick with 2k!

To try and find if a 3rd party shell extension is causing your Windows Explorer to crash on certain actions, you'll need to download this file below.

It will let you view & disable shell extensions.

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/shellexview.html

After you downloaded & executed it, ShelExView will show all shell extensions installed on your system.

You could sort the entries so that you'll have all non Microsoft shell extensions grouped together.

Next, select all these non Microsoft shell extensions, and disable them.

If this does not help with the issue then we have a few other options that we can try

(1) go to the next level and do some debugging! or

(2) I will upload my copy of Win 2000 Pro for you to download and burn your own install disc!

Let us know how you go....

Regards

more_horiz
Thanks for your help, i'll try what you said and let you know how it goes. Thanks!

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum