WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather Tools
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

descriptionnorton Ghost 9.0 and SP2 Emptynorton Ghost 9.0 and SP2

more_horiz
I installed Ghost 9.0 on XP Pro. it loaded perfectly, but on closing the computer refused to shut down.

I cannot get anyone at either Norton or Microsoft to give me a satisfactory answer to the problem. My local dealer said it might run without Service Pack 2, which after uninstalling it did. However, I don’t want to compromise my system’s security in this way. I’m beginning to despair, so do you have any ideas?

descriptionnorton Ghost 9.0 and SP2 EmptyRe: norton Ghost 9.0 and SP2

more_horiz
Symantec has a document in its support database that refers to Ghost 9.0’s compatibility with Service Pack 2. It states that for Ghost to work with SP2 you need to do two things: modify Windows’ Data Execution Prevention (DEP) policy and change the boot.ini file. If you’ve not yet installed Ghost, try the following to modify the DEP. Open the System Control Panel, switch to the Advanced tab and click Settings under Performance. Switch to the Data Execution Prevention tab, select ‘Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select’ and click OK, restarting when prompted.

more_horiz
but this option isn’t available

more_horiz
hmmm... If this option isn’t available or you’ve already installed Ghost, restart your PC in Safe mode. Log on as the Administrator, click Start -> Run, type cmd and press [Return]. Type the following commands, pressing [Return] after each:

c:
cd\
attrib -r -s -h boot.ini

Leave the Command window open, click Start -> Run again, but this time type notepad c:\boot.ini and press [Return]. Locate the [operating systems] section and add the following line under it:

/NOEXECUTE=OPTOUT
If any other lines exist with /NOEXECUTE=, delete them. Save the file and quit Notepad. Now switch back to the command prompt window and type the following line, pressing [Return]:

attrib +r +s +h boot.ini

Restart Windows and you should now be able to use or install Ghost 9.0 with no problems.

more_horiz
ok thanks. prob solved

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum