WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather Tools
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

Start up issues and other misc problems

3 posters

descriptionStart up issues and other misc problems - Page 2 EmptyRe: Start up issues and other misc problems

more_horiz
Please read my last post above your post.
The error messages is the reason i have ask you to execute SFC /Scannow command from Safe Mode.

............................................................................................

FreeBooter
Start up issues and other misc problems - Page 2 1363

Co-Administrator

descriptionStart up issues and other misc problems - Page 2 EmptyRe: Start up issues and other misc problems

more_horiz
When I press "Shift" while pressing restart I end up back at the normal start screen.  I never get into safe mode.

more_horiz
Please follow the instructions at below tutorial link.

http://www.geekpolice.net/t30295-how-to-start-windows-10-in-safe-mode

............................................................................................

FreeBooter

Co-Administrator

more_horiz
How do I post the results of the sfc /scannow run in safe mode?

more_horiz
I really messed up now.  I have the computer stuck in diagnosis mode, I can turn the tower on but all I get is a black screen.

more_horiz
Hi @pappy

Do you have Windows 8.1 Setup DVD?

Can you boot computer into Windows Recovery Environment?

FreeBooter

Co-Administrator

more_horiz
I don't have a set up dvd. I cannot get into windows recovery environment either.  All I have is a blank screen, not even a cursor.

more_horiz
What happens when you press Ctrl + Shift + Esc keys together?

FreeBooter

Co-Administrator

more_horiz
Nothing

more_horiz
Do you have a another working computer if you do you can create Windows 8.1 Setup Media with using Windows 8.1 Media Creation Tool.
You can also try to invoke windows recovery environment by forcefully shutting down your computer soon after computer or motherboard logo finish displaying, you have to do this almost few times to invoke windows recovery environment.

FreeBooter

Co-Administrator

more_horiz
I do have a laptop I'll try to use the tool.

more_horiz
After you have created Windows Setup Media boot your computer with Windows Setup Media and let us know please.

FreeBooter

Co-Administrator

more_horiz
I Will , thank you

more_horiz
You are very welcome!

FreeBooter

Co-Administrator

more_horiz
I have a 4gb thumbdrive, how do I make sure it's empty?

more_horiz
It's telling me I need a bigger thumb drive

more_horiz
I have no idea why Windows Media Creation Tool not accepting 4 GB USB flash drive size of the USB flash drive is good try formatting the USB flash drive see that will help. You can also download the Windows 8.1 ISO image and use Rufus program to create Windows Setup USB flash drive.

FreeBooter

Co-Administrator

more_horiz
How do I format  the flash drive?

more_horiz
Open This PC and right click USB flash drive and select format from context menu.

FreeBooter

Co-Administrator

more_horiz
That didn't work, I'll get a bigger one and try again

more_horiz
Wow that is strange yes please try bigger USB flash drive.

FreeBooter

Co-Administrator

more_horiz
When I did the format it said the flash drive was only 3.78 gb , maybe that's why.

more_horiz
Could be i'm not sure like i said if you like you can download the Windows 8.1 ISO image with Media Creation Tool and use Rufus program to create bootable Windows 8.1 Setup USB flash drive.

FreeBooter

Co-Administrator

more_horiz
OK, Everything is downloaded to a fresh 16gb flash drive. What's the next step

more_horiz
Boot your computer with the USB flash drive.
We will first repair Windows system files then repair hard disk drive errors after we are finish with these repairs you will use Automatic Repair (Startup Repair) tool.

Please open the Command Prompt.

The following command scans integrity of all protected system files and repairs files with problems when possible.

Code:

Sfc  /Scannow   /OFFBOOTDIR=D:\   /OFFWINDIR=D:\Windows

Following command will  fixes errors on the disk and locates bad sectors and recovers readable information.

Code:

Chkdsk D: /r

Please replace partition letter D: with Windows installed partition letter.  When computer boots into Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE) environment the drive letter assign to Windows partition may not be C: drive letter because Windows 7, 8 , 8.1 and 10 creates a separate system partition when it's installed from scratch. The system partition contains boot files WinRE assigns the system partition the C: drive letter and the Windows installed partition will be assign any other drive letter usually D: drive letter is assign to Windows installed partition. The Bcdedit /enum | find "osdevice" command can be use to find out the drive letter of the Windows installed partition the output of the Bcdedit command is similar to this osdevice partition=D:. The drive letter after partition= is the drive letter of the Windows partition.

After you have finish executing the commands run Automatic Repair (Startup Repair) tool and when this tool finish restart your computer to check if it will boot normally.

FreeBooter

Co-Administrator

more_horiz
How do I open the command promt? I still have just a black scren

more_horiz
You need to boot your computer with Windows Setup USB flash drive follow my instructions at below tutorial link.

Windows Recovery Environment

FreeBooter

Co-Administrator

more_horiz
The BIOS SETUP UTILIY screen is up,but it's a little different than Boot Computer into WinRE With Windows Setup DVD

more_horiz
Yes all BIOS setup screen options are not always same you will have to look all the tabs and setting to find setting that allows your USB Flash Drive or device to be set as first boot device.

FreeBooter

Co-Administrator

more_horiz
@pappy have you able to boot from USB flash drive?

FreeBooter

Co-Administrator

more_horiz
No, Now I'm back to a black screen

more_horiz
Where you able to set USB Flash Device as first boot device from BIOS setup utility?

FreeBooter

Co-Administrator

more_horiz
No

more_horiz
Only way i can help if you post screenshot of all BIOS tab settings. You can take a picture of BIOS settings with your mobile phone.

FreeBooter

Co-Administrator

more_horiz
Now I can't get back to the BIOS screen

more_horiz
Unplug the power cable from back of the power supply unit and press the power switch about 10 seconds and connect the power cable restart your computer to see if you can boot computer into BIOS setup utility.

FreeBooter

Co-Administrator

more_horiz
I have a picture, I just have to figure out how to post itStart up issues and other misc problems - Page 2 2017-010

more_horiz
Why is the picture upside down can you please post picture of Boot tab.

FreeBooter

Co-Administrator

more_horiz
Start up issues and other misc problems - Page 2 Unname10Start up issues and other misc problems - Page 2 Unname10

more_horiz
Select Removable Device and press + plus key till Removable Device is first boot device.

FreeBooter

Co-Administrator

more_horiz
Forget to mention after you are finish placing Removable Device as first boot device press F10 to save changes and restart computer.

FreeBooter

Co-Administrator

more_horiz
ok, did that

more_horiz
Did you save the BIOS settings with F10 key and reboot your computer with USB flash drive connected.

FreeBooter

Co-Administrator

more_horiz
Yes, and I'm back to the BIOS screen

more_horiz
Did you boot your computer into BIOS setup or computer boot into BIOS setup screen?

FreeBooter

Co-Administrator

more_horiz
When I rebooted it went to a black screen. I shut it down and when it restarted I hit delete and it took me to the BIOS screen

more_horiz
Was the USB flash drive connected while you took picture of Boot tab?
Also can please you post new picture of Boot tab.

FreeBooter

Co-Administrator

more_horiz
Yes the drive was connectedStart up issues and other misc problems - Page 2 Boot_t11

more_horiz
Test Windows setup USB flash drive with Qemu Simple Boot program see if it can boot with Qemu Simple Boot program.

FreeBooter

Co-Administrator

more_horiz
Put the flash drive in the working computer to test?

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum