WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather Tools
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

Start up issues and other misc problems

3 posters

descriptionStart up issues and other misc problems - Page 3 EmptyRe: Start up issues and other misc problems

more_horiz
Gateway

descriptionStart up issues and other misc problems - Page 3 EmptyRe: Start up issues and other misc problems

more_horiz
HDMI

more_horiz
Please follow the instructions from below link.

https://panam.gateway.com/s/Mobile/Gateway/M275/3501734faq69.shtml

............................................................................................

FreeBooter
Start up issues and other misc problems - Page 3 1363

Co-Administrator

more_horiz
The only way I can get into the BIOS screen is to hit delete during startup

more_horiz
Have you tried ESC and F10 keys while the Gateway screen is displayed during the startup process?

............................................................................................

FreeBooter

Co-Administrator

more_horiz
Yes, that didn't work

more_horiz
Okay make sure USB flash drive connected to USB 2.0 port and set the Removable Device as first boot device and press F10 key to save and exit BIOS to see if computer boots from USB flash drive.
If you have a DVD optical drive you can create Windows 8.1 Setup DVD.

FreeBooter

Co-Administrator

more_horiz
We did all this yesterday, it didn't work then and it's not working now.

more_horiz
That's why i ask you to create Windows Setup DVD your computer wont boot from USB flash drive it will from bootable Windows 8.1 Setup DVD.

FreeBooter

Co-Administrator

more_horiz
Send a link for the setup dvd

more_horiz
You can use Windows 8.1 Media Creation Tool to create Windows 8.1 setup DVD.

FreeBooter

Co-Administrator

more_horiz
ok

more_horiz
Now I have to learn to burn a cd

more_horiz
The Media Creation Tool should burn the DVD for you if not please tell me which operating system working computer using.

FreeBooter

Co-Administrator

more_horiz
My son in law is burning one for me, I'll have it this afternoon.

more_horiz
Got the disc, let's proceed.

more_horiz
Place the DVD to DVD optical drive and set CD/DVD drive as first boot device within BIOS setup utility and press F10 to save and exit BIOS. When ask to boot from DVD press any key to do so.
We will first repair Windows system files then repair hard disk drive errors after we are finish with these repairs you will use Automatic Repair (Startup Repair) tool.

Please open the Command Prompt.

The following command scans integrity of all protected system files and repairs files with problems when possible.

Code:

Sfc  /Scannow  /OFFBOOTDIR=D:\  /OFFWINDIR=D:\Windows

Following command will fixes errors on the disk and locates bad sectors and recovers readable information.

Code:

Chkdsk D: /r

Please replace partition letter D: with Windows installed partition letter. When computer boots into Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE) environment the drive letter assign to Windows partition may not be C: drive letter because Windows 7, 8 , 8.1 and 10 creates a separate system partition when it's installed from scratch. The system partition contains boot files WinRE assigns the system partition the C: drive letter and the Windows installed partition will be assign any other drive letter usually D: drive letter is assign to Windows installed partition. The Bcdedit /enum | find "osdevice" command can be use to find out the drive letter of the Windows installed partition the output of the Bcdedit command is similar to this osdevice partition=D:. The drive letter after partition= is the drive letter of the Windows partition.

After you have finish executing the commands run Automatic Repair (Startup Repair) tool and when this tool finish restart your computer to check if it will boot normally.

FreeBooter

Co-Administrator

more_horiz
How do I open the command prompt?

more_horiz
From Windows Recovery Environment click “Troubleshoot”. Click “Advanced options” on the Troubleshoot screen to access more WinRE recovery utility’s in “Advanced options” screen. From Advanced options click Command Prompt.

FreeBooter

Co-Administrator

more_horiz
What does all this mean?

Please replace partition letter D: with Windows installed partition letter. When computer boots into Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE) environment the drive letter assign to Windows partition may not be C: drive letter because Windows 7, 8 , 8.1 and 10 creates a separate system partition when it's installed from scratch. The system partition contains boot files WinRE assigns the system partition the C: drive letter and the Windows installed partition will be assign any other drive letter usually D: drive letter is assign to Windows installed partition. The Bcdedit /enum | find "osdevice" command can be use to find out the drive letter of the Windows installed partition the output of the Bcdedit command is similar to this osdevice partition=D:. The drive letter after partition= is the drive letter of the Windows partition.

more_horiz
How else you want me to explain what all that means that's best way i can explain that you need to enter Bcdedit /enum | find "osdevice" command to find out which drive letter is assign to Windows installed partition and use this drive letter with commands i ask you to execute.

FreeBooter

Co-Administrator

more_horiz
It tells me it's not recognized as an internal or external command,operable program or batch file

more_horiz
You must be typing the command not correctly.

FreeBooter

Co-Administrator

more_horiz
It worked that time and the scan is running

more_horiz
@pappy how is going?

FreeBooter

Co-Administrator

more_horiz
Both scans just got finished.

more_horiz
Okay now use Automatic Repair.

FreeBooter

Co-Administrator

more_horiz
It says "Couldn't repair try advanced options"

more_horiz
Try System Restore tool to restore your system to a date when it was working.

FreeBooter

Co-Administrator

more_horiz
Can I do that from a command prompt?

more_horiz
Never mind I found it

more_horiz
@pappy please tell us the result of the system restore process!

FreeBooter

Co-Administrator

more_horiz
System Restore did not complete successfully. Your computer's system files and settings were not changed.

Details

An unspecified error occurred during System Restore. (0x8007051a)

more_horiz
Execute below commands and test to see computer boot into Windows.

Code:

Bootrec  /fixmbr

Bootrec  /fixboot

Bootrec  /rebuildbcd

FreeBooter

Co-Administrator

more_horiz
They all scanned successfully

more_horiz
Have you restarted your computer to see if Windows boots.

FreeBooter

Co-Administrator

more_horiz
No, not yet

more_horiz
Please restart your computer.

FreeBooter

Co-Administrator

more_horiz
I took the disc out to restart and I still only have a black screen.

more_horiz
You can use try Refresh option to reinstall operating system while keeping your personal files. This option is located at Troubleshoot screen.

FreeBooter

Co-Administrator

more_horiz
Trying it

more_horiz
There was a problem refreshing your PC. No changes were made

more_horiz
I suggest you backup your personal files and Reset your computer, resetting your PC reinstalls Windows but deletes your files, settings, and apps—except for the apps that came with your PC. Restoring your PC is a way to undo recent system changes you've made.

FreeBooter

Co-Administrator

more_horiz
I was afraid of that.  Dumb question, how do I back up my files if I can't get into the computer?

more_horiz
You can create yourself a Hiren’s Boot CD and boot into Mini XP from Hiren’s Boot CD you will have lots of backup software you can use within Mini XP or you can just use Windows Explorer to copy your personal files.

FreeBooter

Co-Administrator

more_horiz
What are the UEFI Firmware settings?

more_horiz
Have you play around with those UEFI Firmware settings if you did restore them to there original settings.

FreeBooter

Co-Administrator

more_horiz
No, I was just asking

more_horiz
Introducing Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI)

FreeBooter

Co-Administrator

more_horiz
Next stop is the computer repair shop

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum