WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather Tools
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

descriptionComputer running really, really slow - Page 1 EmptyRe: Computer running really, really slow

more_horiz
Something doesn't look correct. Please go to Control Panel, programs and Features and click "show updates" to see if you're getting your updates. That should prove if the Windows is valid or not.

descriptionComputer running really, really slow - Page 1 EmptyRe: Computer running really, really slow

more_horiz
Computer running really, really slow - Page 1 2ed43bfe-9f84-4764-b294-b7c6166d87ae_zps6ad66674

Is that the right place? It seems like its getting some updates?

more_horiz
Well, you're receiving your updates so the OS is legit. Please try the Task Manager fix that I suggested earlier.

more_horiz
Okay, I did look earlier but nothing looked off, I just want to make sure I'm looking at the right thing...

In the task manager, under the "Processes" tab, am I looking at "Memory" or "CPU"? Either way, nothing seems to be overly high, the most was Firefox at 297,000kB which is what, not quite 300MB? That doesn't sound like much... and that was by far the highest.

more_horiz
Do you have the OS disk? If not, is the Recovery Console on a separate drive? You may have to save your important data and run the Recovery Console to take you computer back to the day you purchased it.

more_horiz
I don't think I do Sad tearing  It was so long ago  There's a chance I may have the OS disc from my laptop (same Operating system), but its a very small chance...

Can I somehow order a recovery disc?  Or do I have to purchase a whole new operating system disc?

more_horiz
Windows 7 usually have a Recovery on a separate partition of your hard drive. Check and see if you have a D drive.

more_horiz
Okay, I do have a D drive, and it has this when I click on it:

Computer running really, really slow - Page 1 Recovery_zpsbec02e71

But I have no idea how to use a partition or what I would do to do a recovery.

Do you think this is the best option? To do a recovery, I mean? And if so, can you walk me through it?

more_horiz
Do you think this is the best option? To do a recovery, I mean? And if so, can you walk me through it?

To access the System Recovery Environment in Windows 7, simply boot your PC, just before the system loads the Windows operating system; hit the [F8] Function 8 key on your keyboard which will launch the Advanced Boot Options menu. There you will see a new option 'Repair Your Computer', select this option and hit 'Enter' on your keyboard.

more_horiz
Okay, and this restores it to a factory state? So I need to put ALL of my stuff on an external first, right?

more_horiz
Yes, always keep a copy of your important data somewhere safe. Although the repair option shouldn't affect your files, it's always a safe bet.

more_horiz
Hi! I am so sorry but I totally forgot about this thread, my school stuff got crazy and it completely slipped my mind.

However, i finished my last final today and was gripped with a desperate desire to fix this damn computer, so I am currently backing up all my stuff to an external HD so I can try the recovery.

I was just wondering, does the recover change everything to a completely blank slate? Like default images, no installed programs, etc?! Just want to know if I'm going to have to spend a long time re-installing all of my software (and I'll have to call Adobe and see if they'll reinstate my CS3 license since this is the third computer I activated it on, oops).

So yeah what exactly does the recovery recover? Does it just do something to background files or does it completely reboot everything?

more_horiz
The Recovery will take your computer back to the day it was purchased while a repair should not affect your programs or files.

more_horiz
Hmm Alright. So I'm guessing I should try the repair first, and if that doesn't work, then try the recovery?

more_horiz
Please let me know how it turns out?

more_horiz
Well, I did the repair but nothing seems to have changed. The games I tried are still super laggy and even just loading other programs is really slow. I think I might have to just suck it up and do the recovery. What do you think>?

more_horiz
That's probably your best move. Don't forget to backup all your important data to an external drive or DVD's. Also make a list of the programs you currently have on your computer so that you can re-install them.

more_horiz
Okay, except now I can't seem to get into anything, F8 isnt bringing up anything, F10 brings me to a setup menu with a super old-looking UI (blue and grey) and the beginning screen when I turn on the computer flashes so fast I can't read it to see if there's any other short cuts.  *frustrated*  If its not F8, how else would I get into the Recovery part?

Edit: nevermind, the F8 thing finally worked, I just had to hit it a billion times.

more_horiz
Hey so, I know this is forever ago, but I thought I'd post quickly.

I never got the damn thing running quickly again. I did a system wipe and restore and it still is slow. Pretty sure I'm gonna have to settle for the fact that its old and sluggish now Sad tearing

Thank you for all your help. I really appreciate it <3

more_horiz
If you did a System Recovery correctly, the computer should be running like the first day you purchase it. How exactly did you do it?

more_horiz
I can't remember now but I followed your instructions on startup and restored it. It went back to factory state, like it was new again, but its still slow on the internet and some games. That's why I think it must be a software problem.

more_horiz
but its still slow on the internet and some games.

If you restored it to factory specs. there's no reason why such a computer running Windows 7 should be slow. Are you playing these games on the internet? That could be why it's slow. Check your internet speed with this tool.

Here's the site to test your ISP speed.

more_horiz
Well its slow on World of Warcraft, but I play the same game on the same ISP on my laptop 3 feet away and it runs just fine. What could be causing the desktop to be slow and lag badly if the laptop is not, if the only problem you can see is the ISP?

more_horiz
Did you run the speed test on both computer? Did you try different browsers?

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum