WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather Tools
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

descriptionSecond opinion before backing up computer - Page 2 EmptyRe: Second opinion before backing up computer

more_horiz
Superdave wrote:
You should be good to go with that CD. Come back after the re-install and tell me how the computer is working.

By CD are you referring to the Dell OS reinstallation disc?

I do see in the preparation instructions, ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_laptop/esuprt_latitude_laptop/latitude-d610_user%27s%20guide_en-us.pdf , from dell it refers to a Dell Drivers and Utilities CD.  
Do you I need the Dell Drivers and Utilities CD to install windows xp professional?  If yes, then is there a method to create one from the driver files in the zip, cab, and exe format?  

Thank you for any advice and the help given at this point.

descriptionSecond opinion before backing up computer - Page 2 EmptyRe: Second opinion before backing up computer

more_horiz
By CD are you referring to the Dell OS reinstallation disc?

Yes.
Do you I need the Dell Drivers and Utilities CD to install windows xp professional?

No, all you need is the OS disk.
I do see in the preparation instructions from dell it refers to a Dell Drivers and Utilities CD.

That's probably only for the additional stuff they add on. In my opinion, it's mostly stuff that you'll never use and just takes up room on your computer.

more_horiz
Thank you Superdave for the responses and information.

I am currently confused on one of the Windows setup steps. I printed out the dell manual install instructions and the install instructions from the OS reinstall disk.

After accepting the license agreement it asks me if I want to delete partition. It displays only the main hard disk drive. Do i delete the contents of the hard disk drive?

Thank you for any advice.

more_horiz
After accepting the license agreement it asks me if I want to delete partition. It displays only the main hard disk drive. Do i delete the contents of the hard disk drive?

You can delete the partition and the re-installation will delete the contents of the hard drive. You can re-establish the partitions with Partition Wizard.

more_horiz
Thank you for the freeware. I will attempt the reinstall tonight. I hope to have this computer back to my friend by Wednesday.

more_horiz
You're welcome. I will lock this thread. If you need it re-opened, please send me a pm.

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum