WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather Tools
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

descriptionbacking up computer that may be infected Emptybacking up computer that may be infected

more_horiz
Hello, and thanks in advance for your help Smile...

I'm writing because I recently had some computer trouble on my laptop and conducted a "Windows Restore" to two weeks ago. I suspect it is/was XP-Shield. Anyways, I finally got my computer to start up again using Safe Mode and want to back up all my files on my external hard drive, then wipe out my computer and reinstall windows to be sure. BUT - I am afraid that the virus might not be gone and I don't want to introduce it to my external hard drive by accident. Will backing up my files to my external hard drive transfer the virus to my external hard drive, and then back to my computer when I restore the files? I have no idea if this is even possible, but the darn thing has been a nightmare and I really don't want to deal with it again if I don't have to!

Thanks so much,
Emily

descriptionbacking up computer that may be infected EmptyRe: backing up computer that may be infected

more_horiz
XP-Shield is a rogue, and at the moment, I don't think it's carrying the autorun worm varaint of TDSS. It should be safe to use the exteranl drive.

............................................................................................

Site Admin / Security Administrator

Virus Removal ~ OS Support ~ Have we helped you? Help us! ~ GeekChat
- Please PM me if I fail to respond within 24hrs.
backing up computer that may be infected DXwU4
backing up computer that may be infected VvYDg

descriptionbacking up computer that may be infected EmptyThanks!

more_horiz
Thanks very much, I appreciate your help! I'll spread the word about your site, I had a great experience here.

Emily

descriptionbacking up computer that may be infected EmptyRe: backing up computer that may be infected

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum