WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather Tools
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

descriptionNeed to use old Wireless card for old computer EmptyNeed to use old Wireless card for old computer

more_horiz
HELP...my laptop crashed so a friend is letting me use his old Dell Latitude D505. I had an old Netgear Wireless Card, found a site and figured out how convert the WEP password, so that I now get a message that I am connected to the wireless network both at my job and at home; but it still isn't physically connecting to the internet...the messages says that my passwords do not match when trying to use internet explorer and when using Google Chrome the following: Error 105 (net::ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED): Unable to resolve the server's DNS address.
I have followed all the instructions from the Diagnostic page as well!
Please help need to be able to assess the wireless network.
Thanks so much for all that you do!

descriptionNeed to use old Wireless card for old computer EmptyRe: Need to use old Wireless card for old computer

more_horiz
I don't know what you mean by 'convert the WEP password'. Can you explain? There's no need to convert anything. You just enter the WEP password for your wireless network.

The second error states that it can't find the DNS server. That could be because the laptop isn't actually connected to a network - refer to the first paragraph here. It could also mean that a correct DNS server isn't entered. Check the network settings to ensure it's set to obtain a DNS address automatically.

Of course, you could have a firewall issue. What are you using for a firewall?

Try connecting with an Ethernet cable. That will eliminate the unknown WEP issue.

descriptionNeed to use old Wireless card for old computer EmptyRe: Need to use old Wireless card for old computer

more_horiz
My password is Riches4me...that is a WPA password when is not enough characters for WEP; so the WPA password had to be converted to a WEP password. Which I did; I found a converter on the web.
I can connect via the ethernet cord; but I need to be able to access the wireless network so that I can work in another room.

more_horiz
About the wireless: WEP passwords contain the numbers 0-9 and letters A-F. Riches4me can't be a WEP password.

The fact that you're connecting with the Ethernet cable eliminates things like DNS server and Firewall. I suspect there's something going on with your password.

In cases like this, I will temporarily turn off any security on the router and see if that works. If it does, then I apply security.

more_horiz
Riches4me...was converted into a WEP password...which is too long for me to type and in another room.
There is no firewall on at this time.

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum