WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather Tools
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

descriptionWon't talk to internet EmptyWon't talk to internet

more_horiz
I have a Dell Dimension 8110, with windows XP.
It say's it's on line, but won't let me do anything on line.

Thanks, Pat

descriptionWon't talk to internet EmptyRe: Won't talk to internet

more_horiz
See if you can get a command prompt by going to the the Window logo, usually on the bottom left of the screen. From there, click on RUN. Type in cmd and hit the Enter key.

You should see a black window with white text. At the > prompt, type in ipconfig /all.

That will tell you what your IP address is. If you have a router, it'll be something like 192.168.x.y with x being usually 0, 1, or 2. The y value is usually between 1 and 255.

Once you have that try to PING comand. At the > prompt, type in
ping followed by a space and the IP address of your Default Gateway. You should get a response.

If that works, try PING www.google.com.
Also try PING 173.194.75.103

See if these work or if you get a time out error.

more_horiz
When I typed in cmd I get:

Micosoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Doccuments and Settings\ann summers>

Anything I type after that goes on the end of that last line. If I type after the ">" ipconfig / all, I get a Error: unrecongnized or incomplete command line. Then after that I get a lot of stuff, but no ip numbers.

Pat

more_horiz
The problem is that you should not have included a space between the '/' and 'all' in your command.

ImaBrokeDude send me clarification of how to post this. So please try this:

See if you can get a command prompt by going to the the Window logo, usually on the bottom left of the screen. From there, click on RUN. Type in CMD and hit the Enter key.

You should see a black window with white text. At the C:\Documents and Settings\ann summers> prompt, copy and paste this code and hit the Enter key.

Code:

ipconfig /all >ipconfig.txt

Once that has finished a text file named ipconfig.txt should be saved to:
C:\Doccuments and Settings\\

Please Copy and Paste the text contained within that file in your response.

more_horiz
Every time I try it it does not give me the ip address.
But when I shut it down, it downloaded bunch of upgrades from Microsoft, 25 of them. The nexk morning I turned it back on, and somethings worked, but most did not. I was able to get the Malwarebytes to up grade. (The computer has not worked for a year, The wife was in the hospital most of the time and this her pc, but I have turned it on and tried it many times.) and Malwarebytes found many things, and the pc worked better, then I upgraded the AVG, and ran that, then I downloaded Spybot and removed a bunch more. I am on that pc now.
Is there anything I can do to check it out farther to be sure there's no virus in it?.

Pat

more_horiz
Because Malwarebytes and Windows updated, that indicates your Internet connection is working. If your browser is not working, you may have a DNS issue. You may also have malware.

btw: Since these programs are updating, you should be getting an IP address. Can you post the ipconfig text?

Before checking for malware, let's take a look at some settings. Can you go to the Network Control panel and find your network connection? Look for Properties. Then find TCP/IP and look at the Properties. I'm targeting the DNS setting. It should be set to Auto. Well, that is unless you have a reason to set it to something else.

Also, if you're using Internet Explorer, go to Tools > Internet Options. Go to the Connection tab. Look for the LAN setting. It should all be auto. Proxy should not be enabled. Of course that is unless you have a reason to use something else.

These directions may not be exactly correct because I'm not on a computer right now. I'm on a tablet and giving nest ructions from memory.

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum