WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather Tools
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

descriptionWindows 7 startup repair EmptyWindows 7 startup repair

more_horiz
I was wondering when I need to do a startup repair it always saids something about I need the Windows disk. I do have the disk. But was wondering if there is any way I can put the files needed for startup repair and it not ask for the disk? This is a Dell Inspiron 1545. I did a clean install with the disk. I know if it came from Dell and I never cleaned installed and I needed a repair it would not ask for the disk because somehow dell sets it up that way and so does other OEM's. Just wondering about this so I would not have to grab my disk everytime. I may be somewhere and not have my disk with me.

descriptionWindows 7 startup repair EmptyRe: Windows 7 startup repair

more_horiz
You shouldn't normally be seeing the Startup Repair on the screen. If it's happening regularly, you need to address the problem. It could be a failing hard drive.

When the Startup Repair comes up it's because there's a problem with Windows. Windows can't load. So you won't be able to get to files on your C drive. Therefore you can't put the files there.

You could partition your hard drive and put the files on another partition. I don't know how you'd direct the Startup Repair to look for the files there. It's programmed to look for a disk.

Personally, I don't think it can be done.

Here's a little link that describes the Startup Repair process
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc722188%28WS.10%29.aspx

more_horiz
Jan2011 wrote:
You shouldn't normally be seeing the Startup Repair on the screen. If it's happening regularly, you need to address the problem. It could be a failing hard drive.

When the Startup Repair comes up it's because there's a problem with Windows. Windows can't load. So you won't be able to get to files on your C drive. Therefore you can't put the files there.

You could partition your hard drive and put the files on another partition. I don't know how you'd direct the Startup Repair to look for the files there. It's programmed to look for a disk.

Personally, I don't think it can be done.

Here's a little link that describes the Startup Repair process
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc722188%28WS.10%29.aspx

OK Well it's not asking for startup repair. I was just asking for when it does ask because it has asked before. There has to be a way somehow to direct it to look for files needed for the repair. Dell and other OEM's do this ive seen it done. I remember back in the days of Windows 98. When I would install Windows 98 then later install a printer or other hardware it would ask for the 98 CD. Then I got a computer with a custom 98 boot disk. What it did was load all the cab files to a Win98 folder. This was also useful if you needed to reinstall 98 without formatting. I could boot up with a normal Windows 98 boot disk and run setup. Also when I wouyld make a boot disk it would know the files were in the Win98 folder. This is what I am wanting to do is have the files there just incase I need them. I am about to do a full reinstall because of some issues I am having and I would like to get the needed files set up when I install Windows.

more_horiz
Just an update. I double checked the startup repair without the Windows DVD. I have an HP Desktop. I tapped F8 on startup then Repair My Computer and it went to the repair without asking for a disk. HP does not send the same type of recovery disk that Dell sends. Dell sends OEM OS Disk branded with the Dell logo. HP Sends a recovery image disk. There must be a folder that HP puts somewhere and they edit the bootloader or whatever to direct it to look for the repair files. I downloaded a Windos 7 repair disk I could copy the files to a folder but how would I go about getting it to look for it? Back in the 98 days you could show it where to look. My Dell laptop is the one that ask for the disk.

more_horiz
Windows 98 put the .cab files in a folder in the same partition that it booted to. To get to these files you must have already been booted into Windows.

HP and other manufactures have a separate partition for the recovery files. They have a boot utility for handling the Startup repair.

more_horiz
That does remind me. The HP does have like a 200 MB hidden partition at the beginning of the drive and a Recovery Partition that's not hidden but the files are hidden. The 200 MB I remeber now I was told it was for repair. I just remembered this. But The 200 MB is different than the Recovery Partition. When I said recovery files in a folder for Windows 7 I meant repair files for the startup repair. Maybe there is a way I can copy the Windows 7 Repair CD I made to a folder.
If I click start > and type "repair" in the search the optition comes up to make a repair disk.. I never knew that. I downloaded my repair disk from Microsoft. So that must mean the files are somewhere on my drive in order for it to be able to make a repair disk from my computer.

I just looked in my C drive on my Dell laptop. There is a folder called "Recovery" I put my mouse over it and it said "folder is empty" but I checked the properties and it said it was like 376 MB. That may be the startup repair folder and the files are hidden even when I have show all files enabled.

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum