WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather Tools
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

descriptionnew computer... build it or buy one off the shelf? Emptynew computer... build it or buy one off the shelf?

more_horiz
The time has finally come to replace our computer (we've been doing ridiculous gymnastics to keep our current one, with it's 20 gig system drive functional). The big question is: do I get the components and hire someone to build it - or walk into a store and get one off the shelf. I know the 'pros' of building it. I think the biggest 'con' of pre-builds is all the additional junk software that they come preloaded with. I think i'd sort of lean toward getting the pre-built if i knew an easy way to remove all/most of the extra stuff.

But, any opinions are absolutely appreciated. We don't need a super ridiculous computer, and not a Mac. Just your basic internet, Office software and the Photoshop/CS suite. I will probably move my secondary (E:\) hard drive onto my new computer, even if i get a prebuilt.

thanks in advance!!
buffm

descriptionnew computer... build it or buy one off the shelf? EmptyRe: new computer... build it or buy one off the shelf?

more_horiz
It really depends. If you think the cons outweigh the pros then don't do it. If it is the other way around, let the professionals do it. Instead of going off the shelf you can order a customizable laptop/desktop through the internet with the inner components you can choose for yourself. I've done it and manged right under $400. It helps to know that you end up spending lots of money when trying to make your own. Try the link below, mess around, do what you think will work.

Customizable Laptops
http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/series_can.do?storeName=computer_store&landing=notebooks&a1=See%20all&v1=series&jumpID=in_R329_prodexp/hhoslp/psg/lateralnav_all_customizable_laptop_mini_netbook_series

Customizable Desktops
http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/series_can.do?storeName=computer_store&landing=desktops&a1=See+all&v1=series&jumpID=in_R329_prodexp/hhoslp/psg/lateralnav_all_customizable_desktop_series

descriptionnew computer... build it or buy one off the shelf? EmptyRe: new computer... build it or buy one off the shelf?

more_horiz
My friend went the route of getting a pre-built computer and guess what?, he can't install any new hardware such as a new video card!

more_horiz
A new computer is definitely something you want to look into. Why? You need to do some research what kind of computer you want. After you've established that you will need to ask yourself what is this computer going to be used for, to be cost effective. Then you want to know if you want your computer to be a speed demon or a regular multi-media computer. Finally you want to know do you plan on adding anything new to the computer in the near future. I'm sure you don't want to find out that you bought a brand new computer but you cannot upgrade certain areas, so you really need to do your research and find just what you need.

Pre-Built PC's Pros:
-Free Windows operating system
-Free software (anti-virus)
-24/7 tech support from manufacturer
-Eliminates the hassle of researching what you want/need
-Warranty

Cons:
-Extra software you may never use that you must pay for
-Limited areas for which you can upgrade
-Parts are from manufacturer and may not be upgradeable in the future
-Lots of trial software (anti-virus) where you may need to purchase a product key for registration
-In some cases does not give you as advertised
Example: Computer advertises of 8 gigabytes of memory, but only delivers 4 or 6 gigabytes!

Customized PC's Pros:
-May come to be cheaper compared to a pre-built PC with similar specifications
-Pick and choose what you want
-Can upgrade in the future with the motherboard you choose
(Pre-built PC's come with factory motherboards where they give just what you need, no future upgrade features)
-Purchase a case where theres plenty of ventilation
(Most pre-built PC's do not come with lots of ventilation features)
-Driver software installation CD is included with every product required of drivers to function

Cons:
-No tech support
-Must purchase a copy of Windows operating system
-Software/Driver issues
-No anti-virus/malware protection
-Standard warranty of 30 days upon purchase from retailer, after standard warranty you must contact manufacturer and discuss this matter

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum