WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather Tools
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

descriptionGuardpe fake antivirus protection - Page 1 EmptyRe: Guardpe fake antivirus protection

more_horiz
And the ESET Scan?

descriptionGuardpe fake antivirus protection - Page 1 EmptyRe: Guardpe fake antivirus protection

more_horiz
Actually, when I pasted the custom fix, I pressed scan, and that was the log (oops). So I went back to OTL (but forgot to remove the above log), pasted the custom, and clicked fix, but the OTL program quit responding and would not for over an hour.

Not sure what to do about that, but since the next scan seems long, I think I'll get it started soon.

descriptionGuardpe fake antivirus protection - Page 1 EmptyESET Log

more_horiz
ESETSmartInstaller@High as downloader log:
all ok
# version=7
# OnlineScannerApp.exe=1.0.0.1
# OnlineScanner.ocx=1.0.0.6419
# api_version=3.0.2
# EOSSerial=6b237c637301e34fb6d359f2bb6d8011
# end=finished
# remove_checked=true
# archives_checked=true
# unwanted_checked=true
# unsafe_checked=false
# antistealth_checked=true
# utc_time=2011-01-01 05:19:37
# local_time=2010-12-31 11:19:37 (-0600, Central Standard Time)
# country="United States"
# lang=1033
# osver=5.1.2600 NT Service Pack 3
# compatibility_mode=768 16777215 100 0 52951746 52951746 0 0
# compatibility_mode=6143 16777215 0 0 0 0 0 0
# compatibility_mode=8192 67108863 100 0 0 0 0 0
# scanned=72185
# found=0
# cleaned=0
# scan_time=4200
ESETSmartInstaller@High as downloader log:
all ok
esets_scanner_update returned -1 esets_gle=53251

more_horiz
Any more issues?

We need to know any other issues that are plaguing your computer. Kindly give a summary so we know how to continue from here.

Many of the things to note for us would be:

• Slow computer
  • Error messages
  • Fake antivirus alerts or the icon in the system tray
  • svchost.exe running at 100%
  • System crashes or blue screen of death

more_horiz
Thank you so much for your help!! Big Grin

There is only one odd thing I can name, and that is the amount of time it takes for the computer to completely turn on. I highly doubt this is due to whatever virus that was, because this problem has been here for a while.
After the initial startup screen (the one where you press F8), it goes to a black screen with a flashing white underscore in the top left corner. It stays this way for about 15 minutes or so, and then it continues booting without any issues.

Would this be a good thing to ask the OS forum instead?

more_horiz
I can help investigate.

Run chkdsk:

1. Right-click the Start button and select Explore (alternatively, hit WINDOWS key E on your keyboard).
  2. Using Windows Explorer, navigate to your C:\ drive, then right-click the drive and select Properties
  3. In the Properties window that pops up, click the Tools tab and then, under "Error-checking", click on the button that says Check Now...
  4. In the Check disk options window that pops up, place a checkmark in both boxes:

• Automatically fix file system errors
    • Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors

• Now click on Start
      A new window will pop up saying, "Windows can't check the disk while it's in use".

• Click Yes to schedule the disk check.
  • Now shut down (do NOT restart!) your computer, and then turn your computer back on with its power button.
      When your computer turns on, you will see a black screen with white lettering, this is chkdsk running.

• Let chkdsk run through its five stages. When the utility finishes, Windows will boot to the Desktop.
    NOTE: Running chkdsk may take some time to complete. Please be patient and do NOT use the computer, press any keys, or try to stop the chkdsk scan once it has started!

• ==

Locate the chkdsk log and post it here:

1. Click on Start, then click Run...
    2. Copy and paste the following text into the "Open:" box: eventvwr.msc /s
      NOTE there is a space between "eventvwr.msc" and "/s"!
    3. Click OK (or hit Enter).
        This will bring up the Event Viewer window.

• In the left panel, click on Application
  • The chkdsk log should be the first entry, with a source of Winlogon
    NOTE: If it is not the first log, click on View, and then on Newest First: that should place the chkdsk log at the top of the list.
  • Click on the entry once.
  • Right-click on the entry and choose Properties
  • In the window that pops up, click on Guardpe fake antivirus protection - Page 1 EventViewerPropertiesCopybutton to copy the log.
  • Paste the log in a reply to this topic.
  • descriptionGuardpe fake antivirus protection - Page 1 EmptyRe: Guardpe fake antivirus protection

more_horiz
    privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
    You cannot reply to topics in this forum