WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather Tools
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

description<windows root>\system32\hal.dll - Page 1 EmptyRe: <windows root>\system32\hal.dll

more_horiz
If I press enter on the HDD section I get the following:

boot management
data recovery
device info and management
diagnosis
disk cloning
disk editing
disk wiping
installation
partition management

Nothing about offline NT password & Registery Editor

Thanks for your continued help.

description<windows root>\system32\hal.dll - Page 1 EmptyRe: <windows root>\system32\hal.dll

more_horiz
Hi, go to Data Recovery section and choose Offline NT Password & Registry Editor.

............................................................................................

<windows root>\system32\hal.dll - Page 1 V45u80

more_horiz
OK, as you know a load of information comes up and the user is asked various technical questions. I don't know the answers to these questions, but the cd does state "Dont Panic! usuall the defaults are OK. Just press enter all the way through the questions"

Which I did do to the first 3 steps then it says "Edit user info and passwords" & "enter the user name to change (admin)" and it shows my name, so I type that in and it leads me to believe that I don't need to enter a password as it has an X in the section under my name where "password is not req"

So I put the Win XP Dell disc in again and follow your previous instructions. I get to the admin password stage and I leave it blank and press enter... Nothing happens apart from C:\WINDOWS>

This is driving me crazy now! Any other ideas?

more_horiz
Update: I typed CHKDSK instead of CHKDSK / r and that told me that the volume appears to be in good condition.

Then I tried to type SFC / scannow but it wouldn't accept that!

If I type HELP is gives me a list of commands and the only option that starts with an S is SYSTEMROOT

Hope that helps?

more_horiz
Are you able now to enter Windows ? We just need to get to desktop. Can you try Normal boot, if you fail, go to Safe Mode. We need to go to Windows desktop.

............................................................................................

more_horiz
nope i can't get in on either normal or safe mode. when i try either the original error message returns: windows root system 32 hal.dll

:sad:

more_horiz
Oh my god, lets try one solution again. Go to Recovery Console again, same steps to get DOS screen. Type this command :

expand CD DRIVE\i386\hal.dl_ c:\windows\system32

Important : Change CD DRIVE with name of your CD/DVD Drive, E:, F: etc.. i don't know which one you have.
If computer ask you to overwrite missing file, press Y for Yes.

After that command, type next, one by one, after every command press Enter :
ATTRIB -H -R -S C:\BOOT.INI
DEL C:\BOOT.INI
BOOTCFG /REBUILD FIXBOOT

exit

It must work now! <windows root>\system32\hal.dll - Page 1 833660

more_horiz
lol you have to remember that I am an idiot with computers.... So is the recovery console on the Ultimate Boot thing I downloaaded or do I get it by pressing F12 are start up!?

Sorry.

more_horiz
Don't say that for yourself Smile... That's on Windows XP CD, you have to enter Setup, press R to get to Recovery Console, after that follow above steps. You have to get to same windows where you already typed chkdsk command etc.. Wink

more_horiz
OK, you are saying that I need to enter: expand CD DRIVE\i386\hal.dl_ c:\windows\system32 - but replace the words CD DRIVE with the letter of my CD/RW drive yes? Well that is the E: drive, so I need to write:

expand E:\i386\hal.dl_ c:\windows\system32 ?

There is definitely a space between expand and E: ?

more_horiz
Yup, you'r right.

expand E:\i386\hal.dl_ c:\windows\system32

Also, space between _ and c.

more_horiz
Hi Nazzgull,

Got annoyed with it all in the end and gave it to a professional.

Just wanted to stop by and say thanks for the advice and tips.

Thanks mate.

more_horiz
Hi,
Okay. This was last step, and you was soo near.. Smile...

No problem.

more_horiz
Read the instruction. Hope it will help you http://www.completepcpedia.com/file_missing.html

Good Luck

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum